• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Shroud

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, just wondering, how detrimental is a broken fan shroud to an xj's cooling, because mine is broken and im goin to get a new one and was wondering!

Without a shroud it won't cool as well at lower speeds. It probably won't matter on the freeway. XJ's don't cool very well anyway, so it wouldn't be good at low speeds. Watch your temp gage so you don't screw up your motor by overheating. You could probably duct tape it or epoxy/rivet aluminum to patch it up.

thats why it gets hotter at stops then(has a new fan clutch, thats when i cracked the shroud), well the whole top of the shroud was eatin by the fan while driving on the freeway...

I've been running since September with no shroud. Ok so far except for stop and go delivery St. Valentine's day, it started creeping up. The E-fan isn't working right now.

Replace it before it gets over 65* this spring, it probably won't be any hassle. Over 85*, I bet you will regret you didn't. If the factory didn't need it, they would have sucked up the profit in a heartbeat.

Oh, I'm running a three core, so YMMV.

Back