• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fans...what did you use?

Deadman 94 xj

NAXJA Forum User
Can we get a list of electric fan upgrades that have been used? I searched and found a bunch of threads, but that's the problem. There are 40 million different fans to choose from.

If you've replaced your mechanical fan with an electric, the following would be greatly appreciated:

Manufacturer (ie. where it came from)
Flow rate
Price (if you don't mind)
Ease of install
Results (happy or not)

I'm not having heating issues. I just have to replace the water pump and would like to replace the mechanical fan while I'm in there.

"Pro-Comp" (not the Pro Comp)
First reported 2250, now says 1250 cfm at ~8-11A)
About $30 shipped
Easy
No problems per se, but it might not cool quickly enough for serious thrashing- in hindsight, I would get two 10"s as opposed to 1 12".

I havent done it to my Jeep YET but I picked up a Taurus fan for my big block Chevy for $20 at the bone yard. 40 on ebay. It supposed to blow 4500CFMs. If it keeps my big block cool it'll be good enough for the Jeep.

I installed the #120 Flex-a-lite fan. The weather is much too cold to see how it handles in the warmer climate but with new hoses, Hi-FLo thermostat housing, thermostat it sits at 202 on the highway without the fan ever coming on so I might not need that much fan. Was pretty easy as well.

I have the Flex a Lite 210 puller fans. Rated at 2500cfm and picked them up from Summit for about 200 with out the thermostat kit. I ave it on a relay switch I control from the inside of the jeep.

Taurus fan from the junkyard. works GREAT!

1. ff dynamics triple threat
2. 3300cfm and pulls under 16-17 amps total
3. 250.00 now i think (scored mine for 200.00 when they first came out)
4. simplest mod i have done,install is straight forward,no guessing or headaches
5. more then happy,gas saving alone paid for the kit and the added pep was just a bonus
6. warranty for life ( i shorted out my controller by putting it to close to the header and they sent me out a new one by 2 day mail,there service is no.1 in my book)
7. my cherokee has not even come near to overheating since i installed the triple threat kit,i used to run hot and overheat on the trails in the summer months big time,this set up pretty much solved all my cooling issues.

On my 93 I swapped out the square fan with a 96 efan and picked up another with thoughts of using it to replace the mechanical. My plan is to have it come on at 210, off at 180 and leave the aux as it is with both wired to a bypass switch in the cab for wheeling. Once I get to it I'll be sure document. I'd like to get it done before summer here in AZ.

two stock 8 blade fans in my 93 sport. Pulley will rub on the fan if you punch the throttle at a stand still. Bomb proof motor mount are said to cure this but I'm broke and just got laid off.

Anybody know if 3 10" fans fit on the xj rad? Is that what size ffd uses? How does ffd mount the fans?

If you going to run two A/C fans you are best off with 97+ ones which have the 10 blades and the best cfm of any model previous.

I run the two stock e-fans: a 96 8-s blade on the right side controlled by an adj temp fan controller($20 at AA)and a 97+ 10-s blade($17 from JY) in the stock location. I wired a switchable 2nd ground to the aux fan relay at the PDC to control the stock location.

Gradon, I assume you would have mentioned any performance considerations.

Any difficulties in mounting the second stock fan in place of the mechanical one?

p5220098.jpg

I punched out the mech fan pulley and used a smaller(2045mm) belt.

Back