• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
My front pinion is very loose with quite a bit of play. Anyone have any experience with tightening the pinion nut to get me by until I can get the axles regeared or swap out the front axle? I don't want that axle to sieze up on me on my way to work... that would really suck.

Try removing it first and cleaning the pinion and nut threads. Use lock tite when you put it back on.

If you have an air gun, 1/2" perferably, get a 1 1/8" socket and rattle it down tight.

OR if you have a long breaker bar and a big pipe wrench, you can hold the pinion with the pipe wrench and tighten the crap outta the nut with the breaker bar.

Your pinion beaing could be bad. If tightening it down does not help, just take out your driveline and roll like that till you can get it fixed. You can replace just that pinion bearing but you have to make sure you put everything back exactly the way you took it out or you could easily mess up the gear pattern.

What would I need to change just the outer pinion bearing? If it is something I can do myself with basic hand tools and a little cash, I think it would buy me more time than just trying to tighten the pinion nut. I could really use a list of parts and a link to a good "how-to" on this since I have never done it before.

I drive my Heep to work everyday and my kids, (2 and 5), are always wanting to go for a ride in the "Yeep", so I want it to be safe. I would like to take care of this ASAP as I'm not much of a gambler, especially with my family's lives.

TIA

Well, I'm going to go one step above total laziness and change just the outer bearing and seal, not the bearing race though.

Hopefully this will last a while and keep me and my family from a life changing experience at 55+ MPH as the front axle locks up.

Please post up with your opinions and experience. I already know that it should be fully repaired and done right, but I just can't see spending the time and money on my stock gears when I know I will be regearing this summer or fall anyway.

Well, I'm going to go one step above total laziness and change just the outer bearing and seal, not the bearing race though.

Hopefully this will last a while and keep me and my family from a life changing experience at 55+ MPH as the front axle locks up.

Please post up with your opinions and experience. I already know that it should be fully repaired and done right, but I just can't see spending the time and money on my stock gears when I know I will be regearing this summer or fall anyway.

Remove front DS, drain fluid, remove shafts and 1.) remove inner axles and leave stubs in the unit bearings or 2.) Get 2wd unit bearings or a complete 2wd knuckle setup.

Id hate to hear something bad happening to your family because it wasnt fixed right. :dunno:

Did you check to see what the real problem is? Is the yoke just loose on the spline or does the spline shaft have play? I had one vehicle years ago that I got a good cheap deal on. The guy told me it needed a rear end replacement, but when I investigated closely, the nut holding the yoke to the pinion just needed to be tightened up. Then everything was good.

I had the same problem on my 93 ZJ. The front yoke had about 1/16" side-to-side slop and it was weeping gear oil around the seal. It was also a bit noisy. I hit the yoke nut with the air wrench and tightened it about 1/2 turn. That snugged it back up and it stopped leaking too. I've put 50k miles on it since with no issues. If figured the nut had just backed off a bit.

Well, I tried loosening the pinion nut and tightening it with an impact. I even soaked it in PB Blaster for 3 days and still couldn't get it to budge.

Next, I was going to try putting a breaker bar on it and putting a jack under the bar to try and break it loose.

Has anyone ever succeeded in this or have any better ideas on loosening the pinion nut? I don't have a lift, so my options are limited to what I can do on the ground. I really want to start driving this soon and working on other areas that need attention before the snow melts. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. :D

Well, I finally got my front end back together. I ended up using a big 3/4" ratchet and a jack to break the pinion nut free.

I'm worried more about it now more than when it was all loose. It's making noise like a bit of a whining sound at 30 mph and a light grinding sound when I slow down and take a turn. I didn't realize I was supposed to oil the bearing when I put it in, oops. Oh well, it will last as long as it lasts. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Now, onto the next project...

.:EDIT:. If anyone has any possibly life-saving comments to make about the above message, I would like to read them...

assuming no injuries, what was the extent of the damage? pics of carnage?

Nope, no injuries thankfully. The Jeep suddenly seemed to bog down then there was a vilent snap, then grinding and metal banging/clanging noises. It either snapped the u-joint when the gears bound up or snapped the shaft at the u-joint. Either way, the part that hold the u-joint on both inner and outer shafts is shredded. I had to drive it home about 2-3 miles, so I'm sure that caused more damage.

I'll have to remember the camera when I go ovr there next. I haven't opened the housing yet, so it will be a surprise!!! :woohoo:

yea get a good pic of the inards with the cover off, always fun.id use this an excuse to throw in some BEEF.The d30 gets alot of grief, but it is what it is, and honestly its worth its weight in steel at a yard.....about 55 cents.

Back