• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 front-----------

xjjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
just need to know what dana 44 would be the best to put under the front of my 92 xj. going with 6/7 up front, custom long arm system, have bushwacker cut out flares, 35/12.5/15 meats.also need 6 lug to match the rear bolt pattern. looking to find one that is close to the factory width, cut off the brackets, weld on my spring perches,long arm brakets,re gear, and stuff it under.

would like to stay away from cutting the tubes to make the right wms to wms

scot

6 lug rear?? I thought you were going 8.8?

yea, but i used 6 lug chevy dana 44 stuff, sorry i didnt call on the wheeling trip, the guy i was going to ask rolled his xj on it's side at some park up near hazelton last weekend. how was the trip ?

scot

I think Waggoneer front 44's are as close width wise as you can get without custom length shafts. Some (unsure of years) have drivers side pumpkins, and some have 6 lug. I think the drivers drop's are 5 lug though. Once again not sure.

You should be able to use Chevy parts from the knuckles out on any 44 front to get the 6 lug pattern.

If this was me I'd get a HP 44 from a pre 78 Ford 1/2 or 3/4 ton, cut the tubes down and use Waggoneer shafts (no dealing with custom length shafts). Get a set of flattop Chevy knuckles, with 1/2 Chevy spindle, brakes, caliper, hubs, etc. That gives you a HP 44 with close to stock width, no custom shafts, you can set the castor perfect for your pinion angle, high steer, redially avaliable parts in junkyards.

Static-XJ said:
I think Waggoneer front 44's are as close width wise as you can get without custom length shafts. Some (unsure of years) have drivers side pumpkins, and some have 6 lug. I think the drivers drop's are 5 lug though. Once again not sure.

You should be able to use Chevy parts from the knuckles out on any 44 front to get the 6 lug pattern.

If this was me I'd get a HP 44 from a pre 78 Ford 1/2 or 3/4 ton, cut the tubes down and use Waggoneer shafts (no dealing with custom length shafts). Get a set of flattop Chevy knuckles, with 1/2 Chevy spindle, brakes, caliper, hubs, etc. That gives you a HP 44 with close to stock width, no custom shafts, you can set the castor perfect for your pinion angle, high steer, redially avaliable parts in junkyards.

Driverside drops were also 6 lug. You can use any dana 44's outers to get whatever lug pattern you please.

I am using a '79 F150 HP housing with wagoneer shafts, chevy flat tops, and Ford 5 on 5.5" outers.

Back