• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical failure

norcalxj89

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have some major electrical problems on my hands right now... for the last few weeks the windshield wipers would every now and then not work... then the other day when i went too go to work i started my jeep and nothing electrical was working..... dash lights/blinkers/heaterblower/tail lights/radio... the only thing thats working is the headlights/brake lights/ and reverse lights... i checked all the fuses they all seem good to me i dont even know where to start looking for problems. if ANY one could give me some advice i would really really apreciate it... thanks guys!

Hallo, The ignition switch is located on the right side of the steering column.
It is under the dash. It's connecting by wires and a rod for the ignitionkkey. :shhh:

'92 XJ

just want to add that it is white.

on my 89 its at the bottom of the steering column and to see it you need to lie on the floor and look up.

Grounds have to be traced on the wiring harness. Usually a single or pair of black wires is crimped to a ring terminal which is screwed down to the sheetmetal.

Corrosion eventually jacks up resistance to the point that available voltage at the component isn't enough to return to the battery. The dash ground, fender grounds, cable grounds - especially the return from the block to battery - all must be clean, fresh metal contacts. The battery cables themselves can build resistance due to internal corrosion and lose a good volt and a half just getting back and forth.

There is also the fusible link leads from the starter solenoid to the wiring, located right behind the battery. One is the major power to the engine and can blow due to high loads from - yep - resistance at the other end of the circuit. THEY ARE HARD TO SEE IF BLOWN, you have to wiggle them around and inspect carefully for warping, burns, or a missing conductor.

Welcome to the wonderful world of old cars, my 19 year old '90 is no better, neither was the '66 Mustang I learned on. Yeah, we can put 250,000 on them now, but the darn wiring harness isn't any better, just lots more of it. . .

If you got a 89 you need to clean all the grounds when you get it running again..RENIX is great for bad grounds..If i was you i would get a manual on it...

Back