• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Cap on '01 throwing EVAP code

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to replace the gasket on the gas cap instead of buying a new cap? Seems like a waste just to keep the CEL off. I've tried lubing it, putting it in boiling water to return it to original size, and I can't find a replacement seal or correctly sized O-ring, but maybe I don't know where to look.

If I have to buy a new cap (shudder!) what's a good replacement?

Fish'nCarz said:
Is there a way to replace the gasket on the gas cap instead of buying a new cap? Seems like a waste just to keep the CEL off. I've tried lubing it, putting it in boiling water to return it to original size, and I can't find a replacement seal or correctly sized O-ring, but maybe I don't know where to look.

If I have to buy a new cap (shudder!) what's a good replacement?

Either soak the rubber o-ring in brake fluid, buy a cap from the dealer, or get an OE cap from the junkyard. Those would be my suggestions.

I had to replace the cap on mine for the same problem. But they're cheap at Advance Auto parts. Give them a try. If I recall it was about $10.00.

Back