• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did the ford 8.8 come in explorers with 4.10's open case?

Yes.

Not sure exactly. Why not just get a locker for whatever you can find? Don't they make the locker for both LS and Open carriers?

To put in a locker you have to have an open carrier...the LSD is like a half assed locker.

Even if you find one with an LSD you can get an open carrier and put in it when you do the locker.

They made them but they seem to be harder to find.

What kind of locker are you putting in? Unless its a lunchbox the carrier is irrelevant because detroits, arb's, etc replace the entire carrier.

OK, thats what I was thinking but I am not well versed in differentials so I am learning. Well, hopefully I can find one of these at my local u pull it - they have TONS of exploders there so I should but...dont know if these are sort of rare or not.

Oh, ok yeah I was planning on a detroit.

Last edited:
My buddy has the 8.8 in his desert truck and we were going to rebuild his lsd with some extra clutch packs. I read somewhere from the mustange guys that this helps make it a stronger lock.

I have read the same. I believe you can get carbon clutch packs from Ford Racing for around $100 and can make it lock up pretty well. A friend of mine with a YJ was looking into it, I'll ask him for more info if anyone is interested...

I have read the same. I believe you can get carbon clutch packs from Ford Racing for around $100 and can make it lock up pretty well. A friend of mine with a YJ was looking into it, I'll ask him for more info if anyone is interested...

Hmm, this may make it a nice inexpensive build. I can get rears for $50 so...

My buddy has the 8.8 in his desert truck and we were going to rebuild his lsd with some extra clutch packs. I read somewhere from the mustange guys that this helps make it a stronger lock.

Yes you can do this or add shims. I have a friend that has done this.

Yes you can do this or add shims. I have a friend that has done this.

Like I said I read this but have not done it yet. From what they say you just use some of the old plates.

How can you tell the gearing in the axle? Is is located on the door plate or on the axle itself? Something in the VIN that would say? I would also like to find a 8.8 that is 4.10 so I only have to re-gear the front axle in my XJ rather than both.

And again, how would you know if it has the LSD?

The only DEFINITE way to know the gearing is to pop the cover and count the teeth...

How can you tell the gearing in the axle? Is is located on the door plate or on the axle itself? Something in the VIN that would say? I would also like to find a 8.8 that is 4.10 so I only have to re-gear the front axle in my XJ rather than both.

And again, how would you know if it has the LSD?

thats what i'm doing but instead of regearing the front I am going to get a d30 with 4.10's out of a 4 banger and pair that with the 8.8 - my local u pull it sells rears for $50 so this will be much cheaper

My 8.8 has a Tag under one of the diff cover screws that has 4L10 printed on int. (4.10 G/R and a limited slip)

Back