• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Sand Dune Set Up

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
So as of late I've become more interested in blasting over the dunes and cruising down fire roads/trails than I have with more "extreme" obstacles and the like. My Jeep currently sits on a 3.5 RE lift with 31ish" tires. It's getting to be time for new tires and possibly new shocks as well so I was just wondering what sort of set ups you guys found worked best for what I was looking to do. Thanks!

I suppose I should add that I have been to the dunes quite a bit. Just looking for advice on how to best set up my Jeep to handle a little more speed while there.

depends on what kind of speed youre talking about. if youre looking for good suspension travel and such at high speeds check out some aspects of the jeepspeed section. theres a number of great builds with tons of pics :patriot:
i know the dunes arent exactly the same as desert but itll give you an idea

This belongs in the jeepspeed/prerunner forum.

Are you talking about suspension travel or getting across sand?Get some 31x15.50x15's for deep sand.

I guess I'm looking for the best suspension travel, I get across the sand pretty well. I'm not looking to build a jeepspeed/prerunner, just looking to make the most efficient upgrades for my purpose if I'm likely going to be making them anyways. Right now my Jeep bucks like crazy going over whoops and I was just curious if a shock upgrade or other simple mods whould help smooth that out at all. I understand building a full on prerunner is tons of work and $$$ and if I was gonna do that I'd buy a truck. Just looking for advice or tips.

I consider My jeep a prerunner even though its very budget minded. Prerunner is really just a word that meant one thing and now means about ten things. Let me clarify You want to go faster then a crawl over whoops and not buck? Sounds like a prerunner thing to me...

Front setup.
I have FOA 2.5x 10" resis up front with RE 4.5" coils, drop brackets, control arms, and prothane bumpstops.

Rear setup.
RE 4.5" leafs FOA 2.0x16" resis with custom bumpstop pads and poly rear bumps.

My advice would be to look at the prerunner/jeepspeed forum and look at what others run and ask how it works. You can learn a lot from almost any vehicle if you try.

Softer shocks and bumpstopping will help alot.

Last edited:
I never sad it was anything but mod tech. Im just saying if the info he wants is on that forum he should try looking. I know that if he read the prerunner thread he would gain a lot of knowlege and thats all Im saying. Im not gonna say whats the best turbo for my lowered 4cyl mj in mod tech and not expect to be told to search. I was being nicer then 50% of the guys on here by telling him where to find his answers.

I run mine in the dunes all the time. Just air down and go......

100_3975.jpg

100_3985-2.jpg

Good shocks are a must. fox 2.0's or Bilstein 7100's.
I run alot of high rpm's, so make sure your cooling system is up to par. Giant trans and steering coolers are definately needed.
Carry a large tow strap, cause people are always stuck, and need a pull.

100_4081.jpg

I picked these up for my next trip to Glamis.
As soon as I get them mounted, I'll let you know how they do.

Thanx to kmanxj5050 for the Silver Lake link. My sister runs a campground near there and I love the Mother Day Hill Climb. I've been out on the dunes with other people's dune buggies and a modified Ramcharger. Will my stock 2000 XJ with street tires get through the dunes or will I be embarrassed looking for a tow?

Back