• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I going crazy or am I just a guy who likes variety

jaxes88

NAXJA Forum User
well the np242 just died in my poor xj and it got me thinking. with my xj getting older and more worn out (200k miles now) I might not want to keep it much longer. I know that my 4.0 and aw4 can go much longer but I can't spend alot of time and money to keep everything else running along with it (things such as transfer cases). So I'm thinking I might look for another 4x4. xj's are nice but im wanting something alittle bigger that has a solid frame and is a bit more truck like (I was not thrilled with the available space while removing my t-case), also I would like more interior room for my stuff and my friends. So Idealy a land cruiser fj60, some people here in town have one that hasnt left their driveway for awhile but the tires arent flat and i dont see any x-mas decorations in it. So does this sound like a decent vehicle for me or am I going to go ape and miss my xj?

p.s. if i do get a yota im not gonna turn into one of those yota nut jobs, I know jeeps are incredible vehicles.

Last edited:
Something bigger will come in handy when the gas prices go up (LOL). Personally, after I went to the auto show in 2008, I was drooling over the FJ Cruiser. Did you see how cool it is to change the oil filter? It's right on top under the hood with a cast cup to catch the oil that comes out of the filter when you unscrew it. SWEET! Then I started pricing them. Then I started looking at Cherokees (mine was $3000). No way would I be out in the woods scratching my $40,000 paint. Do you want something to beat around with in the woods or something to jump the speed bumps in the mall parking lot? The best part is that now that I got downsized out of the company, I get to keep my vehicle.

I'm talking about one of these. I'm not much for the new cruisers
Nice!
Anything that old is going to be a money pit of some sort although Toyotas of this type (along with the 4cyl P/U and 4runners) pretty much run forever and are really easy to work on.
If it's really size your looking for and good wheeling ability these are a good choice.
I'm a Toy/Jeep/Chevy guy so don't worry about the "4x4 wars" and drive what works for you.

Your XJ is getting old so you're going to buy a Toyota thats just as old?

If you want a more reliable vehicle you need to go newer/low mileage.

Back