• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Seal Repair

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
My front pinion seal is leaking (DANA 30) 2000 XJ. I was wondering how difficult it is to repair. I also did a search for a write-up but didn't find anything. Any links or ideas on replacing. My mechanic seals are limited but I have tackled a number of jobs (leaks) on my jeep already.

Yes it's the same way. I would make a mark on both the end of the pinion and the pinion nut so they match up before removing it. Then take it off and do the seal and when ready to put it back on you'll know where to stop so you don't over tighten the pinion.

Yes it's the same way. I would make a mark on both the end of the pinion and the pinion nut so they match up before removing it. Then take it off and do the seal and when ready to put it back on you'll know where to stop so you don't over tighten the pinion.
it still need to torqued to spec...it could be slightly loose and marking it would mean nothing.

Thats the procedure if it uses a crush sleeve. I though the front D30 used shims instead which would mean just torquing to the proper value, or did that change in the later years?

The LP D30 uses a crush sleeve.

99 FSM shows it has shims, and a nominal 160 ft-lbs on the pinion nut.

Thanks.

I'm trying to break the pinion nut loose, but as I'm trying to turn it, the yolk is flexing and I can see the wheels pushing forward slightly (in park, e-brake on). This seems like it would be bad on the splines?? Should I be bracing the yolk while trying to loosen the pinion nut??

I doubt you're putting more torque on there nailing the gas in first gear 4-lo would. You might need someone standing on the brakes for ya. Or a decent air wrench.

I have a length of channel that I put a notch in the end. It slides over the pinion and is braced against the ground.

Back