• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rivet size and body thickness to mount 1/4 guards?

Ex CCS Racer said:
What size rivets are you using for fastening your 1/4 guards to the body and to the door rockers? The holes are 1/8" and the armor is about 1/8" thick. Anyone have any idea the thickness of the rear quarter or the doors?
Thin, very thin. I'd say 20ga but that is a guess.

I used 10-24 rivnuts for my rear 1/4 guards. The hole for the rivnut is 3/16". I have "previously" used them to mount flares as well.

-Mike

I just finished mounting treadbright panels using a 5/32 drill bit and corresponding aluminum rivet. This rivet will handle up to a quarter inch combined thickness. I also used a polyurethane adhesive to better mount the panels and help keep moisture out.They worked great and look great. Pre=shaping the panels also helps in mounting. I used the slots in a work bench to help put a curve to the metal and mimic the xj exterior curve. It also helped to make a template out of a paper grocery sack of the area to be covered. That really helped in locating the gas door too. Working with rivets was fun.

I'm just gonna say don't do it, cause the panel will rust out behind there

Back