• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

im getting 160 miles to the tank...

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
im running 33's and stock 3.55 gears.

So i really would i like to get better gas mileage. my first questions is, when i put the bigger tires on, does that foul up my odometer? meaning am i really getting more but it reads lower. secondly, will regearing to 4.56 make gas mileage any better? is there anything else i can do to get better MPG? im no lead foot as well.

yes to your first question. there's a calculator on rockyroad's site that will tell you the change. I'm sure you can find it elsewhere too.

as per your second question. no idea.

3rd- clean a/f, new fuel filter, clean the injectors. pcv valve, exhaust, all these things and probably more can improve your mileage

im running 33's and stock 3.55 gears.

So i really would i like to get better gas mileage.

1) my first questions is, when i put the bigger tires on, does that foul up my odometer? meaning am i really getting more but it reads lower.

2) secondly, will regearing to 4.56 make gas mileage any better?

3) is there anything else i can do to get better MPG? im no lead foot as well.

1) Yes. Your odometer is reading faulty. Best way to find out how bad, is to use a GPS to track your speed and MPG or use google maps to track your routs and add up the given mileage (tedious but will work well)

2) Yes. Assuming you have an automatic, you should be fine with 33s and 4.56s. Your gas mileage should increase as well, especially in the city. But also remember that being over geared can cause ill fate on your MPG as well. You dont want to be going 65mph on the freeway and be reving at 3K.

3) Your driving a lifted XJ. The average MPG is around 14-16 mpg. To get better mileage you should sell your Jeep and get a Prius. Best things you can do to it are tune ups, keep your XJ somewhat light, and keep off the accelerator...

HTH

i checked it, your going 68 miles for every sixty your odo says.
Going by that... Its still only about 181 or so miles to the tank.

(160/20 = 2.67; 2.67*8 = 21.36; 160+21.36 = 181.36)

Which means if you have a:

20gal tank your getting roughly 9MPG.
13.5gal tank your getting roughly 13.5MPG. (Which is about what i average on 35s with 4.10s)

i checked it, your going 68 miles for every sixty your odo says.

Yikes! If thats the case I'm doing quite well! 93 xj, auto, stock gearing with pretty streety 33's. I get 360 miles to a tank, according to my od. That would be 408 miles according to kidarkitect! I dont know about you but thats some serious mileage, 20.4 mpg? I would say there is another problem youre having

Yikes! If thats the case I'm doing quite well! 93 xj, auto, stock gearing with pretty streety 33's. I get 360 miles to a tank, according to my od. That would be 408 miles according to kidarkitect! I dont know about you but thats some serious mileage, 20.4 mpg? I would say there is another problem youre having
I would say something in your calculations are wrong... Not even when my Jeep was stock could i get over 400 MPG. a little over 350 maybe but nothing that high.

Going by that... Its still only about 181 or so miles to the tank.

(160/20 = 2.67; 2.67*8 = 21.36; 160+21.36 = 181.36)

Which means if you have a:

20gal tank your getting roughly 9MPG.
13.5gal tank your getting roughly 13.5MPG. (Which is about what i average on 35s with 4.10s)

ive got the 20 gallon tank, and i would love to be getting around 13...

I went from 29" tires to 31" i can really tell a difference with 3.55.. its a dog on the highway. It does shift smoother but it holds out a lot longer.

ive got 32's and only get 11 with stock gears. I can get about 220 to a tank. I havent ran out of gas yet so i dont really know how far i can go lol

yep i noticed the same, but i got the head serviced, valve grind etc, extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust, and throttle body spacer, and all this seems to return the performance to stock

Yikes! If thats the case I'm doing quite well! 93 xj, auto, stock gearing with pretty streety 33's. I get 360 miles to a tank, according to my od. That would be 408 miles according to kidarkitect! I dont know about you but thats some serious mileage, 20.4 mpg? I would say there is another problem you're having

Is that mile or kilometers, I noticed you were in Canada.

I would say something in your calculations are wrong... Not even when my Jeep was stock could i get over 400 MPG. a little over 350 maybe but nothing that high.

Nope, actually several years ago when I was stock and I switched to synthetic oil I went from 640 kms or 400 miles to a tank to over 700 kms or 435 miles. Now that's amazing! But yes right now I keep track of mileage quite closely every fill and today I checked with the gps and yes my odometer is off, every 10 km I go according to the od I'm actally travelling 12.5 kms. So that's 25% higher mileage than I was figuring. This has been kept track of by me with the same highway driving to and from work for almost 5 years now. I'm blessed I guess, now remember the 33's are very streety, not mudders by any stretch. But the #'s are acurate.

Back