• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant get 4wheeldrive to engage

championjeep

NAXJA Forum User
just bought a 98 xj and i cant get it to go into 4wheel after i pull the lever back and start to go to see if its in 4wheel i hear grinding what should i try to do? its been sitting for a while. thanks

Either your not pulling it in all the way, or most likely the linkage needs adjustment. Is it an automatic? Does it have both full time and part time 4WD. Does it do this in 4WD HI and 4WD LO?

Either your not pulling it in all the way, or most likely the linkage needs adjustment. Is it an automatic? Does it have both full time and part time 4WD. Does it do this in 4WD HI and 4WD LO?
its automatic and its parttime and fulltime. it does this in both. its dark out now so im gonna check the linkage tommarow. thanks.

The linkage is easy to adjust. Mine kept jumping out of 4WD and it turned out thats what the problem was. You just have make sure the tcase is in 4L loosen the bolt holding the lever to the shift rod. Get back in the jeep and make sure the handle is all the way back in the 4L position and tighten the bolt back up. If I remember correctly.

Back