• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD XJ is born:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Back in December of 2006 I bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Freedom for $2000. I like the freedom package and yellow has grown very much on me. It needed a new fender, bumper end cap, front end, and airbags. Total price in invested repairs. $300(also converted it from non-cruise control to cruise when I replaced the clockspring)

yellow1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

yellow3.jpg

yellow4.jpg

yellow6.jpg

yellow7.jpg

yellow11.jpg

Partway through repair:
yellow13.jpg

old fender:
yellow19.jpg

Which is the new part?
yellow21.jpg

Closer:
yellow22.jpg

yellow24.jpg

Back together sans paint:
yellow25.jpg

yellow28.jpg

Painted:
yellow29.jpg

Later updated with the correct wheels:
yellow30.jpg

Cleaned up as it currently sits:
yellow35.jpg

So thats the backstory on the swapee, now lets talk about the donor.

I had been stalking this rolled 2005 limited CRD since october or so, finally it came up for auction and I put in my proxy bid. This weekend was slow torture with me checking the status of my proxy bid.....winning at $100, then someone else bids......winning at $1700, then someone else bids......winning at $2500........I starting to get nervous. It sits at 2500 untill the auction. I wait, I wait, I wait, its run number 176.......they slowly approach my unit, time seems to slow, I swear the second hand on the clock just ticked backwards. Finally mine is up on the auction block, bidding starts out at my proxy bid of $2500......2600....2700....2800....2900, its skyrocketing quick, finally the bid slows at 3000, I am still winning with 3100, one last bid trickles in at 3200, my proxy bid for 3300 becomes the high bid. My pulse quickens, my vision narrows, the uncomfortable feeling in my gut from not leaving for the bathroom half an hour ago becomes acute. This is it I think, this is my highest bid, I cannot afford to go any higher, if he bids 3400 I am out.....all of a sudden the unit dissapears, and the next one is up......if it were possible my blood pressure goes even higher, confusion sets in. It barely sat on 3300 for any amount of time, they didn't hold it there long.....did I miss the bid did I buy it?

then it pops into the sale history list....I see the $3300......and next to that I see my bidders number.....GREAT SUCCESS!

And with that, Project CRD XJ is born:
http://ww4.klode.com/kws/napplications/display_pics.aspx?Stockid=901387&Exit=Close

yellow39.jpg

yellow40.jpg

yellow41.jpg

yellow42.jpg

yellow43.jpg

yellow44.jpg

yellow45.jpg

yellow46.jpg

yellow47.jpg

i will be watching closely i have been thinking the swap and how sweet it would be but didn't the crd libertys have tranmision problems

i will be watching closely i have been thinking the swap and how sweet it would be but didn't the crd libertys have tranmision problems

No, not really. The torque converter is the weak link and has been a problem for some people, but there are upgraded TCs available these days.

I was wondering what you were doing,

I was like "What the Heck happened to CRD MJ?"

Ya.....maybe think of this as the gestation before the birth......

Well it's been a week, but the donor finally arrived today. Driver dropped it off, I threw a cover on it and ran to class:
yellow48.jpg

yellow49.jpg

yellow50.jpg

yellow51.jpg

yellow52.jpg

Got it started up and driven into the back yard where it now rests with a cover over it:
yellow53.jpg

yellow54.jpg

yellow55.jpg

yellow56.jpg

yellow57.jpg

yellow58.jpg

yellow59.jpg

yellow60.jpg

yellow61.jpg

wow, if nothing else after its all said and done you'll be able to part out much of that donor Libby or get some coin back for it at the wreckers. not much, but hey its all good.

this is going to be just as interesting at the MJ, keep up the fantastic documenting.

So I had been pondering and pontificating on the issue of the overhead console.

What came to my attention today was that the LCD is a similar size, I think the make the KJ overhead console work in the XJ overhead console I will mount the LCD display in the same place, and then connect it via a ribbon cable to the driver board hidden up somewhere where the larger XJ console has room to hide it. I will have to add two buttons to the XJ console to control the KJ EVIC, but it should be doable.

I know its just one small part that will be years off, but at least I have it figured out, sorta, now.

The difference in the size of the LCD:
yellow65.jpg

yellow66.jpg

As you can see the control board is just too large to mount here, so if I solder on a ribbon cable I will be able to put the control board where there is room to hide it.
yellow67.jpg

been a while since ive seen a garage/backyard with more cars than me :shocked: can't wait to see one of these up and running, best of luck!!

Whats up with that nice looking 300zx in the background??

Back