• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your good deed for the day (if you help me)

98_XJ_Classic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys so its one of those days when "the big guy" just piles it on. Out of respect for everyone I will list:
1998 Cherokee Classic
1. Cat baffle broke off and it feels like its restricting air flow, becasuse when I get into the skinny she falls on her face.

2. The ratteling from the cat+new flowmaster at 100,000 miles= busted headers

3. TPS I think is bad, it wont shift like at all unless I'm off the accelerator for a sec or 2

4. My rear wiper works great, but it wont spray washer fluid Ive ripped it apartfrom the front wipers to the tail gate cant find problem.

5. Awful bird chirpping noise under hood when cold, and I know most say t is idler pully, but It sounds like the dizzy.

6. OK THE LAST AND WORST ONE OF THEM ALL the switch to turn on my rear wiper is super sloppy now:(

Ok so some of you who are still reading (about 15% of you) might be asking if their was a point to this, there is and here it is: If you can shead likght on any of these issues (where to find qualilty replacment parts, what you have to to fix problem, where to search for the problem) really anything at all the has anything to do with my problems would e awsome, this is all a bit overwhelming for me right now.

I see you're here in the Detroit area. There are several XJ's being parted out on craigslist. Look under auto parts and search "Cherokee". I picked up a good head for $50. My favorite (cheapest and nice website to search) online parts store is Rock Auto. I also use Murrays for tools (buy and return for full refund policy), but also try to keep my local NAPA in business because usually they are more knowledable and have parts Murrays doesn't. On this forum, just go to search and type in TPS. I do have difficulty with this myself though and sometimes I just keep going back through threads until I find something. You will always find something. Once you hit on one thread similar to what you need, there will be 4 or 5 similar ones listed at the bottom.

^ha ha...beat me by a second.

Is there a way to remove the cat section? If so, do that and remove the baffle.

Headers busted as in cracked? You could try to weld it or just get a header from the classifieds here and replace.

TPS...dunno.

Wiper stuff...dunno.

Bird...dunno.

Switch is sloppy? As in loose in the panel, or has a lot of play in it or what? You might have broken a tab that keeps it mounted solidly, or some internal part of the switch is messed up, which you should just check the classifieds again. There are a lot of "part outs" going on and Im sure someone would make you a good deal on these parts.

I picked up a new switch for the rear wipers at the dealer- about $20 (mine had broken, and the wiper would only function if the switch was held down). The pump still doesn't work, which I assume means a bad connection, or a dead pump- it's inside the freakin fender, which is a bit of a pain.

When my manifold cracked, I put an APN header in. You might want to check your motor and tranny mounts while you're under there- if they're shot, you're more likely to have cracking problems from what I've read.

I haven't had any issues with the TPS or distributor, so I can't offer much besides "search". God doesn't pile troubles on your Jeep- it's a machine, and its parts wear out. Maintenance is just part of driving one. Have fun.

My cat did the same thing, the catalyst breaks apart inside and restricts flow. Replace it or you'll have an overheating issue this summer.

'Bird chirping noise': loose serp. belt maybe. You need a Krikit II belt tension gauge from Napa. The belt should be at 170#.

First post he said it's not the belt.

I used to have the same squeak in my distributor when it was cold out, but after I did a full tuneup with new cap and rotor it went away.

Just my $0.02.

edit: I have a 98 XJ 4.0 as well.

I don't see anything in the first post that translates to "it's not the belt" ? In any event, the first thing to do is get a mechanics stethoscope or length of tubing and listen. Don't mean to insult anyone but watch the fan blades.

Angry sparrow write up here
I know you think it's under the hood, but sound can travel.

Does the front wiper pump work? It's the same pump for the rear. If the front works, there's a problem with the fluid line that leads to the back. If the front doesn't work, it's the pump, wiring, or switch.

Steve

The switch- picked one up at the JY last week for 3 dollars, Im using it for my fog lamps though. Check your local U-Pull-it/pullnsave/whatever and see what they have

Wiper help? Things I have found out from experience with my '96, yours may be a bit different.
Wiper fluid can develop crud from the colorant or something in it. I thought my front pump was bad and almost bought a new one. It was fine after I cleaned the filter in the bottle.
Check for a clogged tube from the pump to the back. AFTER you pull the end off the wiper blow compressed air through the tube and see what happens.
There is a one way valve in the tube inside of the pre. '97 hatches, if you have one it could clog.

Hope this helps.

Back