• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

junkyard part ok?

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
whats the consensus on picking up a cps sensor from a junkyard jeep. Have a pull a part near me that would make it quite easy to get my hands on a few, with a known mileage. Also is there a year break on these? Looking for spare for a 2000.

edit-crap when did i go black?

You could get one, but I'd even be wary of the "known mileage" bit - you don't know if it's been changed or what. However, aren't the HO ones testable?

If you don't mind grabbing a few for trail spares, go right ahead. I'd be wary of using one as a "permanent replacement part," tho...

thanks 5-90 your word is always appreciated. Just doesnt seem logical to pay full price for a spare, and the HO ones are testable (5 ohm range if i recall)??? But are the HO ones compatible with my 2000?

thanks 5-90 your word is always appreciated. Just doesnt seem logical to pay full price for a spare, and the HO ones are testable (5 ohm range if i recall)??? But are the HO ones compatible with my 2000?

Yah. Be save and get one 1996-up (OBD-II) just to be sure, but the OBD-I (1991-1995) ones will probably work as well. The RENIX (1987-1990) units work on a different principle - besides having a different connector, the signal just isn't compatible with the ChryCo electronics.

Strictly for a spare? Yes; test it to be sure of condition

I know you aren't looking for an immediate replacement because of yours failing, but I would definitely not recommend anyone get a junkyard crank sensor for that. They fail too frequently at higher mileage and they are such a critical piece of hardware.

If I was going to do that, I'd swap it in at home and then keep your original as the spare. That way you know it works. From many threads, it seems that there is a heat sensitivity type of issue too. One guy's worked whenever he poured cold water on it and then would stop again. He could repeat this over and over.

Back