• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing ?

what is the stock gearing for a dana 44 in an xj with the stock towing package?

There is no "stock gear size". It is all dependant on engine size, tranny, and even then there have been weird ratios with the towing package. Why are you asking?

well, one of my friends believes that its a 3.73 gearing in the stock D44 that the xj's got with the tow package, and i believe it was 4.56

Read this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101249
Make sure that you read all the way to the bottom. It states that the D44 in XJ's can range from 3.07 to 5.89. The 4.56 may have been stock with a 4cyl and auto trans, but the 3.73 may have been stock for another set up.

Read this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101249
Make sure that you read all the way to the bottom. It states that the D44 in XJ's can range from 3.07 to 5.89. The 4.56 may have been stock with a 4cyl and auto trans, but the 3.73 may have been stock for another set up.

No, D44s from the factory never came with 5.89. The lowest axle gearing from the factory was 4.56 in pre 90 or so auto 4 cyls. They where pretty rare at that. Most 4.0 autos came with 3.55 some, again rare, tow package XJ autos came with 3.73, and manual XJs with 4.0s came with 3.07. Again there are some odd balls but very very very rare. O XJ 44s only came in 4.0 auto xjs from 87-89 but predominately 87, and again with 3.55. MJs could have been different so I would go to Comancheclub.com to ask about that.

XJ D44s came with 3.55 gearing. I have seen MJ 44s with 3.07 gearing.

No, D44s from the factory never came with 5.89. The lowest axle gearing from the factory was 4.56 in pre 90 or so auto 4 cyls. They where pretty rare at that. Most 4.0 autos came with 3.55 some, again rare, tow package XJ autos came with 3.73, and manual XJs with 4.0s came with 3.07. Again there are some odd balls but very very very rare. O XJ 44s only came in 4.0 auto xjs from 87-89 but predominately 87, and again with 3.55. MJs could have been different so I would go to Comancheclub.com to ask about that.

So which is it? Your posts directly contradict each other. In the first you say that D44 XJ's came with 3.55 and the second one you you that they can come with 4.56, 3.55, 3.07 and then that there are oddballs, which is the point that I was making if you bothered to read my post or link.

I was not saying that 5.89 was a factory option, just that there were many ratios available from the factory unlike the information posted in your first reply.

Sorry. What im saying is that XJ 44's only came with 3.55. Other axles came with all the other gearing.

Here are the predominant Dana 44 variations as ordered from Dana for the XJ: http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?hvtss~deabill~6~

Different gearing could be ordered as an option. The MJ's 44 can be looked up from that same page.

Personally...my Dana 44 came from a 1987 XJ Pioneer 5speed 4.0litre with factory tow...3.07gears(now 4.88), and Trac-Loc.

Back