• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Removal Question

XJOutsider

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the Final Stages of pulling the 4.0 L from my 96 Cherokee. I purchased a subscription to http://www.alldatadiy.com/ it is basic the factory service manual just Via the web. It does not show were to mount the chain or load leveler. I will be using a load leveler it need to attach in four locations. Can some post some pics of these mounting location or a Description I would appreciate it.
James

I am in the Final Stages of pulling the 4.0 L from my 96 Cherokee. I purchased a subscription to http://www.alldatadiy.com/ it is basic the factory service manual just Via the web. It does not show were to mount the chain or load leveler. I will be using a load leveler it need to attach in four locations. Can some post some pics of these mounting location or a Description I would appreciate it.
James

If you're pulling the engine for an overhaul, do yourself a favour and pull the head first. You can then use the screw holes for the cylinder head screws to attach your load leveler (they're threaded 1/2"-13.)

You don't necessarily need four attachment points for a leveler to operate tho - one at each end of the block will suffice.

NB: You've probably discovered the "External Torx" screws at the top of the bellhousing by now, or you are about to. They take an E12 socket to remove, and can be replaced with standard hex head or socket head capscrews threaded 3/8"-16 - just match the length under the head.

If you leave the head on you can use the AC bracket holes at the front on the pass side and the intake/exhaust holes on the drivers side. Just use the load leveler at a angle from pass to drivers side, it will still work just fine. I think they are all 3/8-18

If the intake/exhaust is still on then you can use the head bolt studs on the drivers side and AC bracket, dip stick tube holes on the pass side like in the pic. This is a RENIX that I dropped in my 90

engine1bt9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the Replys I am pulling the motor to Drill and tap my Passanger Side motor mount Becuse the Bolts sheared off. I have read were people have done this job with the motor still in the cherokee I just feel more comfortable doing it on an engine stand.

Back