• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 to 3.4 conversion?

MonsterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody hear anything about how to do a 2.8-3.4 conversion? Is it worth it? Im on a very very tight budget and i have the choice between wimply replacing my t-5 tranny or replacing the tranny and engine with a 3.4. also, whats it take to get the tc to fit to the 3.4 tranny? If anybody knows prices or good tech articles it would be awsome. Thanks

Well, try a search.

It's been talked to death.

There's a current thread with photos of the swap being done. Just a day or two since the last post.

Indeed, a search would be your best bet....

To be perfectly honest with you, you'd be much happier if you just went ahead and installed the Chevy 4.3 and matching tranny from a donor S-10 truck or Astro Van. More torque and horse power for the money and everything is meant to work together rather than patching parts together from this and that.

The 3.4 swap using a 90's Camaro engine is a decent swap if you only want to swap out the 2.8 and use your current tranny. The 3.4 is a direct bolt in to the tranny and motor mounts and will usually use your current 2.8 exhaust manifolds and exhaust which is certainly convenient.

If you're looking to change your tired tranny as well, then seriously consider yanking a 4.3 from an S-10 along with it's tranny and t-case. This entire setup will set into your XJ with some modifications. You'll need motor mounts from Advance Adaptors, and a wiring harness to connect the factory S-10 computer from Painless Wiring. You'll have to make exhaust changes and adapt a late model XJ gas tank with the internal electric fuel pump to your XJ. There's alot of other little things that will need to make this swap operational, but trust me, it's worth it. I had a '92 S-10 engine and 5 sp tranny in my first rig, an '84 4dr. I loved that powerplant!

But I digress..... :D The big consideration you need to make is if you want cheap or done right the first time. My suggestion is that you keep the XJ parts from the tranny back and swap in a 3.4 or go with an entire drive train from an S-10. Mixing stuff from the 3.4 would be almost as much work as just doing the 4.3.

Hope this helps!

Troy

Back