• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wierd noise

1997cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So on start up everything is fine but as soon as I put in drive and give some gas to pull out I hear a clicking sound almost like the fan hitting soemthing. Then goes away and won't happen again till I shut her down and start again.

I can rev the engine in park and no sound.. Any idea?

more info.

year? 4x4? any lift or other mods?

it sounds like a CV shaft. Do you have CV front axles or a CV front driveshaft?

check your motor mounts. if they are gone enough, they could allow the motor to move enough to hit something with the fan.

1997 4wd stock all around with 57,000 miles. Just at mechanic and he said everything looks fine then this started a few days later. I was thinking motor mounts but why only on start then go away?

no vibes at all!
cv shafts epensive. I juyst bought this thing

Is the sound coming from your engine bay, whats the frequency of the sound a slow tic tic or tictictictic? I ask as the famous hot/cold start symptoms sound similar. A click sound sounds a lot like a loose rocker arm or a stuck lifter. Perhaps a warn out "u"joint - just speculating could be way off. some more details would be helpful, turn her on let it run, shift Reverse to 1st or vise versa -anything? other than that just make sure nothings sticking into something spinning in the engine bay- lol you'd be suprised at what gets in there!

Well it is from the engine bay and has something to do with the engine rpms because it will increase but not get any louder when I acc for the first time. Only really on a fresh start or if I turn her off for a while and drive off. only notice it recently.
I did start her just a bit ago and reved her a bit by the throttle cable and no noise. i really only notice it when I am moving for the 1st time.

Commonly the cold/hot start can have those symptoms, you start it or accel in your case, but once the car has warmed up the noise will disipate or just disapear.
Ihad a similar problem with my lifters and rockers- so i thought maybe your in the same boat, i cant say for sure though. If that is the case there are specific things you can add into your engine that will clean it and hopefully fix the stuck lifter, as for a rocker it may be warn or loose. Give a looksy on some of the other threads on here
as people have some great tips of things to clean & NOT TO CLEAN your engine with. Again im just spitballing so dont take this to heart

Back