• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painting my jeep possibly.

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
So in the near future i want to paint my jeep. im looking to do a semi-gloss black, or maybe a gunmetal color. i need to know how much paint i will need to do the whole jeep, and what brand is recommended?

Well to do the whole jeep I would say it's about 3-4 quarts. That being said, just buy a gallon of everything. You'll have some left over but you can use it for touchups/bumpers etc... It's also a lot cheaper than buying 3 individual quarts.

As for the clearcoat, it depends how flat you want to go. Hot Rod Flatz has a clearcoat that is semi-gloss, but I would label it more as semi-flat. Meaning it is a lot closer to the flat side of the spectrum rather than satin. If you want more sheen and less flat, buy a gallon of the Hot Rod Flatz, and a gallon of gloss clear, and mix the two until you reach the desired finish. Takes some experimentation.

What brands? PPG, DuPont, or BASF. However, these are all pricey, quality finishes. For a cheap Jeep re-shoot, I would use Kustom Kolor paint from TCPGobal.com. Seems to get good reviews and is dirt cheap. Maybe $200 total in paint supplies.

in the hot rod flatz kit on that website does that have everything i need minus primer?
from website:

Complete Ready-To-Spray Gallon Kits
Each Gallon Kit Includes:
1-Gallon Hot Rod Flatz Urethane Color
1-Quart KH212 Overall Urethane Hardener
1-Quart Kustom Shop KR Urethane Reducer of Your Choice
5-EA Quality 190 Micron Nylon Automotive Strainers
5-EA Wooden Paint Mixing Sticks

is clear coat neccesary?

I wouldn't do base coat/clear coat on a Jeep, just go with acrylic enamel, give it 3 or 4 good coats (more of you plan on wet sanding and buffing) and your done. I have used Sherwin Williams paint from Car-Quest and it came out real good.

One gallon of paint
One gallon of reducer
one pint of hardener

Thats it. For primer just use cheap lacquer primer, it mixes with lacquer thinner and is really easy to use. A few coasts of this, sand it down, then paint. I have done entire paint jobs from start to finish in one day. Of course, these aren't show quality paint jobs either.

Hope this helps.

Danny

Back