• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Champion winch through TSC

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_49372_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Anyone yay/nay this winch? I'm looking for a winch because I don't have one. I plan on mounting it on a 2" receiver so I can stick it in either back or front and take it off to keep it clean/from being stolen.

I was wondering if there were any yay's/nay's for either my mounting idea (I'll make sure my front bumper is up to par and my rear hitch is currently a class III) or this winch.

I had two of those exact 8000# winches and 4 other friends with them. They worked just fine and nobody has had a problem. I used mine in Mexico and did full pulls up the dunes, 1 Jeep after another. It was hot as hell but never let me down. I would absolutely buy another one.

Tom

Popular winch up here in Canada. Watch how you use it...some are fragile some aren't. I know guys that beat the hell out of their. I know a guy whose broken 2 on the first pull, on the other hand...

We were told the 8000lb's werent made anymore, and 9500lb's were given as a replacement.

not to sure about the winch but as far as the mounting goes the rear hitch should be fine just make sure the bumper you buy has a good solid mounting kit and not just the three factory holes because it can and just might tear off on hard pulls ecspecially from the side

What about the $300 8K lb Mile Marker? I would run one of those before thinking about that champion.

Why? It's the same thing. ;) We've covered this a lot here... T-max Industrial in Qingdao makes the T-max, MileMarker, Champion, Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight), etc... They're the same winches with different warranties and stickers. Get the cheapest with the best warranty...and buy a spare. :)

http://www.tmaxtools.net/ Use the search box and type in 'winch'. :rtm:

I have a t-max 10,000 (6.6 hp series wound motor) and my friend (bwfdrummer) has a harbor fright 10,000 (4.8 hp permanent magnet motor) and they are way different!
i like my tmax, but if i didn't get a good deal on it i would have gotten a warn m8000. i would stay away from permanent magnet motors as they are to easily rebuild-able if and when they do die

Last edited:
I have a t-max 10,000 and my friend (bwfdrummer) has a harbor fright 10,000 and they are way different! check the numbers!

i like my tmax, but if i didn't get a good deal on it i would have gotten a warn m8000. i would stay away from permanent magnet motors as they are to easily rebuild-able if and when they do die

Follow the link I gave. There are different types and the internals change based on customer preferences (MM and T-max Winch are the only different I've seen)...but it's still the same company. :roll:

checked the link... got a bunch of old tmax winches and hand winches didnt see any MM or habor freight am i missing somthing?

Reading comprehension. ;) I don't have time to hold hands, but if you pull up the various manufacturers and ignore the stickers, you'll see the same winches. We've been discussing this for years here.

few of my friends bought them on a whim a couple years back.

i think combined theyve been through 4. 1 burnt up on the first pull, so he rebuilt it, only for it to die again a couple weeks later. he replaced it with a MM 12k

other friends also burnt up quick, and he rebuilt it, and its still ticking. its slow, weak, and unreliable. none of these qualities i want when it comes to a winch.

if your going to spend 3 hundred on a winch, to me it makes sense, to fork up another 1-2 hundred and get something good...warn, superwinch, heck...even mile marker

sorry still dont see it none of the numbers match my tmax look nothing like his HF. most of the MM winches i have seen are 4.8 HP while the even the older tmax winches have a 5 HP and the newer ones have a 6.6. I can see MM, HF, champion, and gorilla being the same maybe even smittybilt. maybe you are right and i just dont understand what you are saying because im retarded dont really care

Because the winches are made by the / in the same factory does not mean they are the winch/winches.

I designer/inventor will take his design to a reliable and efficient assembly plant to have his invention mass produced. By doing that he do not have to build and run an assembly plant. Plus by using an exsisting plant in a low wage country increases his profit margin.

To change from one brand to another, all that factory has to do is adjust the machine settings and bring in the various components for the unit/brand they are going to assembly. Remember, most manufactures have their own designs and specifications.

Lots of good info here, but lemme rephrase my initial question...What would be a good winch to get for under $500 for an XJ with 2" of lift that mostly rock crawls? I want something at least 8000lb or higher, but I can't afford (literally) to go blow 1k on a winch. Now, assuming I'll have my mount brackets in place (which I will) and that I'll have everything else taken care of (which I WILL.), what would be a good winch to use? I would highly appreciate brand names/links to specific winch models.

Lots of good info here, but lemme rephrase my initial question...What would be a good winch to get for under $500 for an XJ with 2" of lift that mostly rock crawls? I want something at least 8000lb or higher, but I can't afford (literally) to go blow 1k on a winch. Now, assuming I'll have my mount brackets in place (which I will) and that I'll have everything else taken care of (which I WILL.), what would be a good winch to use? I would highly appreciate brand names/links to specific winch models.
i had my champion 8000# for a couple years, it did not survive last winter, (water got tino it and froze and cracked it) my faulty really. It didnt have an easy life either! a few really hard pulls and lots of smaller pulls. was pretty slow, but dependible. Its replacement was a superwinch 8500, which is working good for me as well ,quiter and quicker, nothing bad to say about it either

i had my champion 8000# for a couple years, it did not survive last winter, (water got tino it and froze and cracked it) my faulty really. It didnt have an easy life either! a few really hard pulls and lots of smaller pulls. was pretty slow, but dependible. Its replacement was a superwinch 8500, which is working good for me as well ,quiter and quicker, nothing bad to say about it either
Anyone x2 on the superwinch? It's looking more and more like a good choice.

Back