• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tapping or Clicking

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 4.0L I6 with 185,000 miles on it and when your standing over the motor you can hear a tap or clicking sound under there i know i have an exhaust leak around the header but i think i may have some lifters sticking because its not loud enough to be a rist pin. I have recently put new main bearings in it. not sure if man bearings make a sound. But, it sounds like its coming from the top of the motor if it is my lifters can it be fixed or are they non adjustable? Please help me out it drive me crazy.

Thanks alot,
Corey

A bit of lifter noise is not uncommon on the high mileage 4.0. Lifters are not adjustable and generally, this noise becomes more of a "characteristic" of the aging engine, rather than a pressing problem. Just keep an ear on it. I've seen guys go tens of thousands of miles with noisy lifters on their 4.0.

You could try an additive such as Lucas oil stabilizer, etc to see if it helps quiet them down a bit, but they are hit and miss on effectiveness.

I know there is no adjustment for the lifters, but can't they be checked for proper torque to possibly eliminate some of the noise?

Hallo. You have never heard my Jeep?
When it is cold starting, it's like Mike Portnoy under the hood.
My engine runs already with this noise about 260 K km.!
I do have also a tick in the engine. LOL It's like a diesel.

"92 XJ always smiling.

Back