• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Delta-FL underlay?

glub

NAXJA Forum User
Just a thought..

Delta-FL is a dimpled plastic underlay for laminate floors in basements. It maintains a small airspace to permit the concrete to breath and dry out.

What if this was used under an XJ's carpet to let moisture escape and avoid rust? Could melt I guess depending on where it is..

I have a problem with any kind of plastic being between the carpet and floor. With the temp. changes it just seems to be a 'breeding ground' for moisture and eventually.. "XJ Cancer".

You think it would make it worse? This stuff provides about 1/4" air gap, so I was thinking it might help it dry when it does get wet..

It wouldn't let moisture escape - it would trap it in. You could lay it down and seal all the edges, and it might prevent water from ever getting in (like I did with a vinyl material), but if waterproofing is the only reason, you'd be better off using bedliner (I went with vinyl for soundproofing).

The problem is that the carpet has a "sealed" back. Even if you get a space back there, the carpet still seals in the moisture. A jute backed carpet would be better.

The idea would be that the carpet would not touch the floor.. it would be held off the floor by the membrane which provides a 5/16 airspace for ventilation..
The edges would not be sealed so that the floor could dry.. The carpet would get wet and stay wet but the membrane keeps the floor dry. Any moisture that get underneath the membrane should eventually evap due to the ventilation.

I may try this out, but would take a while to know if it works!

Back