• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifted my drivers seat 1" to the left!

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Last year I replaced my factory front seats with Grand Cherokee seats. This made a HUGE improvement in my comfort but I was still having issues on long trips (anything more than half a day). I have had issues on long trips in any car for years (i assume it is my sciatic nerve) with my right leg hurting from my hip to my ankles, it eventually goes numb; but in the XJ it was really a problem.

So after trying to figure out why it was soo bad in the XJ I realized that the seat is too far right. This causes a couple of issues.

1. My leg is always cocked left around the Transmission hump to reach the gas and brake.

2. Because of the shape of the Transmission tunnel the right side of the seat was pinned against the tunnel. The left side could move freely but the right side could not. This resulted in a lot of pressure on my right hip and leg.

3. The driver was not lined up with the stearing wheel.

So I decided to move the seat to the left 1 inch.

The rear mounts have plenty of surface to make new slots an inch over from the factory ones so that was easy. The only extras stuff I had to do was make one side of the washer for the left rear bolt flat because the new whole was too close the vetical part of the seat mount.

The front was a different story, the mounts are not wide enough. I ended using a piece of 1.5X1.5 steel. I drilled holes for to mount it to the factory mounts using allen head bolts so there would be less interference when the seats where installed. Then I drilled holes 1 inch off to bolt in the factory locations on the floor.

Right Rear

Seat004.jpg

Left Rear (I had to cut about an inch off the left edge to clear the pillar post)

Seat005.jpg

Front (backside)

Seat003.jpg

Front installed

Seat008.jpg

So far it feels much better. I have not been vary far but just being lined up with the paddles already feels a lot more comfortable.

Good job.
I just want to lower my seat by an inch or so so that I can sit up straight without my head rubbing on the headliner.

i had the same problem but my pain was brought on cause my seat was broken and leaning to the right. Well i just went out and got a good seat from the yard. Well its better but i still feel the tingling but I have yet to take a long trip. Im thinking your idea might be worth a try. My concern is how my left leg will like being up against the door. Any issues with that yet?

i had the same problem but my pain was brought on cause my seat was broken and leaning to the right. Well i just went out and got a good seat from the yard. Well its better but i still feel the tingling but I have yet to take a long trip. Im thinking your idea might be worth a try. My concern is how my left leg will like being up against the door. Any issues with that yet?

There is actually quite a bit of room. The seat is not anywhere near touching the door when it is closed and I haven't felt like my left leg was any closer to the door.

I used to get alot of pain in my right knee when I drove long distances. It turned out having my wallet in my right rear pocket was reducing blood flow to my right leg. I keep my wallet in my front pocket now and no problems.

I used to get alot of pain in my right knee when I drove long distances. It turned out having my wallet in my right rear pocket was reducing blood flow to my right leg. I keep my wallet in my front pocket now and no problems.

I haven't driven with my wallet in my pocket for years.

My wallet hasn't been thick enough to matter for the last 6 months. Just let your wife carry your waller in her purse. She'll end up with it anyway, so you may as well make her carry it now.

both of my XJ's seats are moved back because of my fat ass not fitting in them - I just unbolt the seat and drill holes in the floor back like 3-4 inches and rebolt the seat down - the old spots stay closed up since the studs stay in there

The wallet could very well have been the problem, but not due to blood flow... anatomically speaking.

Still enjoy this mod? I am considering it too because I can't stand being in the seat for more than 30 minutes and it takes some of the fun out of wheeling.

Also, with the grand cherokee seats did they come with the seat belt connector piece? Are they from a ZJ or WJ?

UPDATE: I went to Utah a few weeks ago and wheeled for 4 days and then came back. What a difference! I would start getting a little pain but now I can move my leg and give it relief! What a difference being able to drive all day and not have a numb leg!

What year Grand did the seats come from? I put a pair of leather buckets out of a 97 Limited in mine, but there's no room to shift them over. The offset is a bit annoying, but they're still quite comfy for me.

Last year I replaced my factory front seats with Grand Cherokee seats. This made a HUGE improvement in my comfort but I was still having issues on long trips (anything more than half a day). I have had issues on long trips in any car for years (i assume it is my sciatic nerve) with my right leg hurting from my hip to my ankles, it eventually goes numb; but in the XJ it was really a problem.

So after trying to figure out why it was soo bad in the XJ I realized that the seat is too far right. This causes a couple of issues.

1. My leg is always cocked left around the Transmission hump to reach the gas and brake.

2. Because of the shape of the Transmission tunnel the right side of the seat was pinned against the tunnel. The left side could move freely but the right side could not. This resulted in a lot of pressure on my right hip and leg.

3. The driver was not lined up with the stearing wheel.

So I decided to move the seat to the left 1 inch.

The rear mounts have plenty of surface to make new slots an inch over from the factory ones so that was easy. The only extras stuff I had to do was make one side of the washer for the left rear bolt flat because the new whole was too close the vetical part of the seat mount.

The front was a different story, the mounts are not wide enough. I ended using a piece of 1.5X1.5 steel. I drilled holes for to mount it to the factory mounts using allen head bolts so there would be less interference when the seats where installed. Then I drilled holes 1 inch off to bolt in the factory locations on the floor.

Right Rear

Seat004.jpg

Left Rear (I had to cut about an inch off the left edge to clear the pillar post)

Seat005.jpg

Front (backside)

Seat003.jpg

Front installed

Seat008.jpg

So far it feels much better. I have not been vary far but just being lined up with the paddles already feels a lot more comfortable.

I'm going to use this myself! My 92 is more comfy than my 97. I believe part of the reason is the seat location. This is such a simple solution, that I'll do it too, and soon.

What year Grand did the seats come from? I put a pair of leather buckets out of a 97 Limited in mine, but there's no room to shift them over. The offset is a bit annoying, but they're still quite comfy for me.

I don't remember what year they are. Sorry. They are cloth WJ seats though. Maybe they are narrower than the leather ones?

Back