• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new member with electrical issue!!

98blkcoop

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, I just picked up a 98 cherokee and just today, i experienced a problem w/ my lighting. The headlight switch doesnt illuminate the instrumental cluster, taillights, and parking lights...

The headlamps turn on and the dome light does come on when switch knob is turned to full lock!

I have since then tried TWO different new headlight switches, checked the fuses, and wiring leading to and from the light switch.

My question: Is there a relay responsible for cluster/taillights/parking lights?

I looked under the hood where the relays are located and did not see one designated for them!

Any help is appreciated guys/gals:thumbup:

Check fuse 6 and 16 inside on the passenger kick panel. Likely that one of those is blown, 6 is the 4th down on left row and 16 is top right.

Here is what I found in a 97 FSM...

PARKING LAMPS
Circuit F34 from fuse 17 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) connects to circuit L7 through the
headlamp switch.
Circuit L7 powers circuits L77 and L78 through fuses 7 and 23 in the junction block.
Circuit L78 powers the right park and marker lamps.
Circuit L77 powers the left park and marker lamps.

Circuits L77 and L78 also power the rear tail lamps.
Circuit L77 powers the coil side of the fog lamp relay.
Circuit L77 provides the illumination lamp signal to the radio.
Circuit L78 feeds the license plate lamp.

Having looked at the wiring diagram, Circuit L7 is a Black/Yellow wire that goes from the Headlight switch, thru splice 206, to C201 to the Junction block. So basically, it goes from the switch down and across through the lower instrument panel trough to the junction block to feed power to fuses 7 and 23.

So I would start troubleshooting this by proving to myself that when the switch is on, this circuit is complete and getting power to those fuses in the Junction Block ( fuse panel at the passenger side kick panel).

Back