• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bought new jeep. blew radiator hose now won't start

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
ok i just bought a 91 XJ laredo for $100. the previous owner said it didn't run and didn't know what was wrong with it.

he said that he was driving when steam came out from under the hood. he pulled over and called a tow truck. by then the steam had stoped, but ever since then it wouldn't start.

so i get it back to my place and start checking everything over and notice that the upper radiator hose had ripped. that explains the steam he saw. so this is what i checked.

oil--good
coolant--low (due to broken radiator hose)
air filter--clean/dry
plugs---i put them in
spart--got spark
fuel--got fuel
timing---timing is good
engine codes---12, 22 (coolant voltage low),55

tomorrow i'm going to replace the crankshaft position sensor, idle air controler.

the only thing i can think off is that when the coolant sprayed all over it fried one of those sensors. i remember reading all across naxja about guys washing their engine compartment after going offroading, and then not starting or acting weird.

any other ideas what i should look at or try???

Electronics and steam don't mix....specially high mineral content water. Thats where I'd start, dvm time...

Howsabout TPS?
Get some electrical quick dry cleaner, or just some electrical parts cleaner if you have compressed air to blow the stuff off right after shooting solvent. Start cleaning connectors as Rich hinted. What ever you use, it needs to dry off before the plastic connectors soften up and get gooey.

I'm gonna put on the old school shade-tree hat for a sec; does it sound like it's making compression? Does compression sound even when you crank? Of course a dry/wet compression test would be good. Even with a cold block you have numbers to compare.

i've been thinking about that. i'll do a compression test today. when i checked it yesterday, there was no compression coming through the cooling system, so i know it didn't blow anything through that way.

and when i pulled the #1 plug to set it at top dead center, it was pushing air pretty good.

i guess i'll start with the sensors and compression check today.

scorpio_vette said:
i've been thinking about that. i'll do a compression test today. when i checked it yesterday, there was no compression coming through the cooling system, so i know it didn't blow anything through that way.

and when i pulled the #1 plug to set it at top dead center, it was pushing air pretty good.

i guess i'll start with the sensors and compression check today.

You might want to check the distributor cap for hair line cracks, in addition to all the above. They don't like steam.

Back