• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mating engine and transmission AW4

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
IM working on installing a 99 HO short block in a 90 renix with an aw4 and im having problems getting the engine and transmission to mate all the way. I got it all but 1/2 inch, and cant get it to go the last little bit. This is my first motor swap with an Automatic transmission, so im affraid I might be missing something. THis is very similar to when I used the wrong pilot bearing when installing the stroker in my 99, however there was no bearing in the crank of the renix motor I pulled out. I simply removed the flex plate and TC and installed them on the other motor. The newer engine did originaly come from a manual xj but that should not matter should it? Am I missing something that would make this go a little easier? Thank you
Lightfoot

is the TC engaged? Might be hitting the tip of it on the edge of the crank. I always get it close, hook the TC up, then slide the motor the rest of the way. It usually takes me a swing or some kicking to get it all lined up tight.

4 swaps and counting.

The proper method is to install the t/c onto the transmission first and make sure its fully seated. You need to keep turning it until it goes all the way on. If you don't and try to pull everything up with the bellhousing bolts you will destroy the front pump or damage the splines on the snout on the t/c.

Was there still a pilot bearing installed in the end of the 99 crank?

Back