• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oilpan strong enough

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
is the oilpan strong enough to support the weight of the engine if set on the ground?

or

should something be used to hold it/how should I set it down?

thanks

u can also build a wooden stand, cheap.

i was thinking more in the lines of this.
Engine3.jpg

jeepdude10000 said:
i was thinking more in the lines of this.
Engine3.jpg

3/4 inch plywood is what, $50 a sheet now...and you can't rotate the engine if you decide to clean it up while it's out. I'd go for the stand at $39.... you can always resell it for $20-30 after you're done..

if you get the harbor freight engine stand, DO NOT go with the little one. i have their 1000# engine stand, and while it does a good job holding the engine, it also has a hard time keeping the long as* 4.0L straight. i had my engine sitting on it for about 2months, and the front of the engine kept sagging lower and lower (only about 1", but still).

while the engine might not be that heavy, it's very long. longer than a V8, and so the engine stand has a hard time counter acting that leverage. so from experience, i would not go lower than 1000# with the harbor freight stand.

now my 4cyl and even my chevy 400 had no problems with that same stand.

but yes, you can use old car tires or build a wooden crate. that's what i do for storage.

Old tires work wonders for impromptue stands. I like to use my old mud tires for this, as they are wider than the normal car tire, and help to keep the oil pan from resting on the ground, plus, the bigger tires help to stabilize the longer in-line motors better than a "short" tire.

I put it in an old tire and blocked the crank up with 2x4s until I had the the replacement engine in the jeep. Then I grabbed it back with the hoist and lifted until I had most of the weight with the hoist, and that will hold it until the AM. Then I will put it on my stand.

I had the replacement engine on the stand, but had to have a place to put the engine I was pulling out, while I grabbed the replacement engine off the stand and put it in the jeep.

thanks.

I use the wood box for storage and transport put some wheels on it and it's hard to beat. Besides when not in use your boys (if you got) can push each other around in it and stay out of your hair.

scorpio_vette said:
if you get the harbor freight engine stand, DO NOT go with the little one. i have their 1000# engine stand, and while it does a good job holding the engine, it also has a hard time keeping the long as* 4.0L straight. i had my engine sitting on it for about 2months, and the front of the engine kept sagging lower and lower (only about 1", but still).
while the engine might not be that heavy, it's very long. longer than a V8, and so the engine stand has a hard time counter acting that leverage. so from experience, i would not go lower than 1000# with the harbor freight stand.QUOTE]

I agree. And if you subscribe to H-F.com you occasionally get a 20% coupon which will bring the price down almost to that of the lighter stand!

Back