• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snap-crackle-pop noises (a little long)

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
To start, on Wed of last week, I was in a fender bender. The impact bent the drag links. I replaced them, aligned the tires, everything seems solid and drives straight. I went wheelin' over the weekend and found a couple of other hidden issues.

1.) strange popping sound coming from the front axle when in 4wd, no noise when in 2wd. It's more pronounced when turning left. You know what a cv joint on a honda sounds like when they start to go, I would say it sounds like that. The u-joints appear ok. My guess is maybe the hub was damaged from impact??? Is that serviceable or just replaceable?

2.) Leaking axle fluid from passenger side (BTW - disco D30). Is there only one outer axle seal or is there an inner and outer seal? How easy to replace?

Probably the two are related, the popping sound and the leaking axle fluid. I've had the outer shaft out before to replace the shift collar on the axle shaft about 2 years ago but I don't remember seeing any kind of seals.

I'm headed to the Rubicon in a couple of weeks so I want to get this fixed this week to make sure the problem is fixed.

thanks,
Dave

I was on a loose dirt trail when the popping started.

what's the likelihood that it could be in the spider gears???

what would the symptoms of a broken axle shaft be?

You say they look ok, but try shaking them with your hand. If you can feel any movement in the u-joints, they are bad. U-joints are $16 to $25 each. I would steer clear of Advance and Autozone for these because they failed me. I have gotten good service from U-joints from NAPA. The hub and bearings are considered non-serviceable by most people. The entire hub is available from Autozone and Advance. Some of these folks sell timken which is the OEM brand on my 89. Cost is 139 to 169 each. Seems if it was your bearing, you could shake the wheel when the left side is jacked up. The diff leak is not a good sign, the seal is inboard. If you pull the hub to replace the u-joints you will be able to hold the axle in your hands to inspect. I would check the kingpin too. Popping is not normal even on pavement but I wouldn't engage 4WD on dry pavement.

Back