• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you [used to] have a 3" lift, what did you use?

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
My 2" Rusty's AAL is saggy with the 200k mile original leaf packs, so I figure a 3" can't hurt.

For those of you who have or have had a ~3" to ~3.5" lift, I'm just wondering what parts you used, how much you spent, and how you liked it on and off road, and 'sag' resistance.

Don't forget to mention shocks or dampers used, part numbers or 'application' (such as v8 ZJ coil springs up front), etc. The more info the better.

I figure this will help me put together my own 3-3.5" lift and others, and serve as a good starting point for those looking to lift their XJs.
-Matt

Id start off with a newer XJ leaf pack.

1. Then, Id find another XJ leaf pack, and use the main and second leaf added to the first leaf pack. Buy a good lift shackle, and call it a day.

2. Find a new leaf pack, and either an S10 or Dakota/Durango main leaf, cut it down, and use the stock shackle.(I used a 2wd Ford Ranger main for about 3" or so.)

For the front, Id buy some 2"spacers and find a set of low mileage V8 Grand Cherokee front springs.

If that isnt a possibility, Id spring for some new 3" springs.

You'll eventually want to get some good upper and lower control arms and at least an aftermarket track bar and mount. Stock steering would work for now, but that is also something to look into in the future.

You'll want to redrill the track bar hole on the axle end if you are reusing the stock track bar.

Other than that, its simple to find cheap to free lift parts out there.

Do you own a LS6?

Do you own a LS6?

Nope... my mom did own a '70 (only year for the 450 horse LS6) Malibu back in the day though... not a SS, but a coupe, so hopefully it's found its way to a good home. I'm not sure of the engine it had, probably a ho-hum 307 or 350.

I'm just wondering all of the varieties of DIY lift kits people have out there.
-Matt

i run a 3" lift... spent twice as much on shocks as i did on everything else...

rc 3"+ goodies, w/ foxes

go w/ the rubicon express 3.5sf, its a much better kit, but is really more like a 4" kit.

I did a 4.5 inch lift through rough country. and did the package with new leaf springs, I also got the controle arm drop kit, it came out to 800 or 900

I love the lift, I would defanetly recomend going bigger, but now that im at 4.5 I want to go to 8 inch longarm with rear coil conversion, I saw that for $3,790 something with new shocks as well if I had the moneyI would defanetly do it.

I would defanetly say look around, Teraflex does really good lifts, but it usually comes down to the cheep ones.

Hope that helped

Rustys 4.5 coils and rustys shocks. Stock XJ leaf pack with 3 leafs added from other stock xj packs and 1 ton over loads at the bottom, re 1.5" shackles, cut and raised rear shock mounts to keep stock shocks, cut and sleaved stock trac bar, made new sway bar mounts from the stock sway bars and sq tube. Cheap n it works for me.

Back