• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 with homemade double cardan

curt94xj

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone ever used a ford explorer front drive shaft cut to length for a rear driveshaft in a xj i have a 94 that i am lifting 4.5 inches, and i just installed a dana 44 from a 87 xj. i am going to install a sye into my 231j and was wondering what i would need besides the explorer front d,shaft i know the sye kit uses the 1310 ujoint and if i am not mistaken the explorer is 1310 but isnt the dana 44 from the xj a 1330 on the pinion and if so how would you address this and part #'s would be appreciated if someone has done this thanks in advance 94 xj 4.0, aw4,np231j, 4.5 inch lift, sye, dana 30, dana44, 32x12.5x15 on rock crawler rims

try it and let us know how it goes.

An XJ D44 uses the 1310 joint.

I think the XJ44 is a 1310 as well, but if it isn't then you can get conversion U joints where two tabs are 1310, and the other two are 1330 or whatever it is that you need. They are a little more expensive, but they make it an easy swap.

I think the XJ44 is a 1310 as well, but if it isn't then you can get conversion U joints where two tabs are 1310, and the other two are 1330 or whatever it is that you need. They are a little more expensive, but they make it an easy swap.

I have one of these conversion u-joints sitting around in my garage.

But, it doesn't matter as the XJ D44 pinion is a 1310 U-joint.

looks a little beefier than the xj and since its from a front mid 90's and not been wheeled or even hardly used by looking at it the double cardan is in really good shape on the one i found and it only costed me $12.00 at pull a part

first of all i will be cutting it and rewelding to length myself and $45.00 for the balance at universal automotive in Concord N.C. still way cheaper than most people pay for a tom woods or other name brand and before someone say it isnt as strong well we will have to see, i am not into paying for names only quality end products that work as well if not better than the(status quo).

first of all i will be cutting it and rewelding to length myself and $45.00 for the balance at universal automotive in Concord N.C. still way cheaper than most people pay for a tom woods or other name brand and before someone say it isnt as strong well we will have to see, i am not into paying for names only quality end products that work as well if not better than the(status quo).
Is this a DD or a TR(TQ)?

search for info. there is a few threads mentioning the use of an Explorer front shaft working without modification. apparently they bolt right up to an RE hack and tap type SYE flange.

Ive been welding for a long time,but I wont even do rotating parts.Re-tubing a driveshaft is left to the pro's!

sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel, why? the legwork has already been done by a countless number of other people.

a front driveshaft from an XJ is plenty strong, cheap and they are in abundance and have been proven to work in the rear with the right yoke, or adapter. same thing with the Explorer shaft.

The issue isn't trusting your welds, its the fact that to get the driveshaft even close to the point where you can balance it, you need to have it pretty straight. At the high RPMs they travel at, even the tiniest deviance can create terrible vibrations, and cause parts to fail prematurely.

Unless you have a jig, I wouldn't advise it. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying that its going to take a lot more than trusting your welds.

There is also the fact that a front driveshaft from an XJ is a good length already, and all you have to do is take that flange off the explorer driveshaft, and put it on the XJ one, and you can bolt it in.

i guess there was some confusion as to what i am going to do i am not using the explorer front shaft for a hack and tap setup i am doing the h.d. sye install on my 231 and am going to shorten the explorer front shaft if needed to use in the rear of my xj i know you can use the xj front i just wanted the explorer shaft because it is a little beefier ,just wanted to know if anyone had used this front d,shaft for a rear with a sye before hope this clears up any confusion,( i.e.) not reinventing the wheel

we all know what you mean. were just questioning as to why you would go through all the work for something that LOOKS stronger and has never been done. i have nothing against DIY stuff, its just that driveshafts are a precise product and there are a lot more economical options available, thats all. i didnt think the type of SYE changed the type of shaft needed. and i doubt anyone has used it, strictly because the XJ front shaft is essentially a direct fit, availability, and price. it seems its either XJ front or a custom made shaft such as a tom woods or something of the sort, which is obviously the best way as its stronger and specifically made for your set-up.

Last edited:
Back