PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on Water Cans

OverlandZJ
February 19th, 2009, 17:55
I saw a thread on www.ih8mud.com on these 5 gallon cans that are supposed to be just like the Sceptor water cans, and pics of the cans seem to confirm this. For comparison sake the Sceptors sold for $25 plus shipping through Quadratec when i bought one... when they were still available.

I just bought four of these. They are available in OD and Beige. It was mentioned that orders over $50 shipped free... but i DID NOT confirm this.

Before someone asks, no i will not be using these for fuel... and i dont recommend that you do.

These are being sold at under $16 per!!! I'll post up my impression once i receive and compare to my Sceptor can. But at that price i was willing to gamble.

www.buylci.com

https://www.redcheetah.com/lci/item_details.php?sess_id=7ee2a781149bc9bac4437c94b 2b0693b&sku=600409&list_uuid=81a0eb06-5051-102c-95cf-001871e34fe0

saburai
February 20th, 2009, 20:36
Link does not work...

OverlandZJ
February 20th, 2009, 20:50
http://www.buylci.com/signup.htm

Guess that would explain why this thread got no replies. Someone is flipping them on ebay already too.

Click on shop as guest, then search for water can.

saburai
February 20th, 2009, 21:38
I just spent the last 45 minutes checking out there stuff. Some good deals! Thanks. Let us know about the water cans please...

Cnickgo
February 21st, 2009, 11:09
Another great deal on there would be locking carabiners for $15. I'd be all over that if I was still top roping.

OverlandZJ
February 25th, 2009, 11:53
I just received half my order, what a buy!! These cans are identical in construction to the Scepters. Only difference is some marking on the outside.

I couldnt be happier with a quality can at half of what i paid for the Scepters. I'll post some pics up later.

saburai
February 25th, 2009, 12:09
Excellent!

OverlandZJ
February 25th, 2009, 12:33
Rich, these cans have a slightly flatter seal surface on the mouth. I'll fill one with water later and let it set on it's side for a leak test.

My Scepter can on right, LCI can on left.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/ExpeditionXJ/HPIM1512.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/ExpeditionXJ/HPIM1513.jpg

And again the LCI.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/ExpeditionXJ/HPIM1514.jpg

saburai
February 25th, 2009, 14:41
I've not ordered yet. I'll wait on your review

OverlandZJ
February 25th, 2009, 17:58
Filled the two cans i received today, ones a leaker at the release valve. I'll call tomorrow asking for a new cap and see what their customer service is like.

The other doesnt leak a drop. To be fair i'v heard of the same leakage from Sceptor cans.

saburai
February 25th, 2009, 20:24
Filled the two cans i received today, ones a leaker at the release valve. I'll call tomorrow asking for a new cap and see what their customer service is like.

The other doesnt leak a drop. To be fair i'v heard of the same leakage from Sceptor cans.

hopfully their CS will be good. Thanks for being the crash test dummy:jester:

OverlandZJ
March 4th, 2009, 10:52
They are sending me out a new cap free of charge.

After speaking with the woman a bit she asked me what i'll be using these for. Told her for vehicular travel/camping in remote areas, where i wont have a water source. She mentioned they cant manufacture these fast enough and the desert tan cans are on backorder.

I'll bet the price goes up on these once they realize their competition is not shipping to US vendors. Get your order in...

saburai
March 5th, 2009, 09:24
Just ordered five ;)

BruceB83
March 6th, 2009, 19:54
I want to order two but there's a minimum order of $50. I don't really need 4 of these water cans. Crap...

OverlandZJ
March 6th, 2009, 20:14
Bruce, i didnt see anything about a minum order? It's free shipping on any order over $50.

BruceB83
March 9th, 2009, 07:44
Bruce, i didnt see anything about a minum order? It's free shipping on any order over $50.

When I tried to checkout, it said something like "this order does not meet the LCI minimum order requirement of $50". Anybody else get this?

BruceB83
March 9th, 2009, 07:47
Just tried it again...this is what I got..."Please note that the amount of your order is less than the minimum amount specified by LC Industries. The minimum order amount is $50.00. Please continue to add to your order until the order total exceeds the noted minimum order amount."

Anybody want to go in on an order?

OverlandZJ
March 9th, 2009, 08:00
That sux.. Well, you could order the 4 cans and ebay the few you dont need. Theres a few on ebay now.

I just received my replacement cap through CS. Havent had a chance to test for leakage yet. I suspect i'll be good.

saburai
March 9th, 2009, 08:11
You could always order one can from BQ for $33.00 and then pay $15 for shipping...
Just get four and fire sale three for $10-$15 and you'll be in like Flint. Better idea would be to keep them. Better to have and not need than to need and not have... IMHO, FWIW, YMMV and such...

BQ Link: http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?M5COPY%2Ectx=20719&M5%2Ectx=20719&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=B%20Ready&BC4%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage&backto=%2Fstore%2Flevel3c%2Etam

OverlandZJ
March 9th, 2009, 08:39
Hey Rich... Take another look at that link, specifically the picture. And compare to the pics i posted!

Wondering if Scepter changed their mold to include the "Property of" stamp.

BruceB83
March 9th, 2009, 08:44
You could always order one can from BQ for $33.00 and then pay $15 for shipping...
Just get four and fire sale three for $10-$15 and you'll be in like Flint. Better idea would be to keep them. Better to have and not need than to need and not have... IMHO, FWIW, YMMV and such...

BQ Link: http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?M5COPY%2Ectx=20719&M5%2Ectx=20719&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=B%20Ready&BC4%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage&backto=%2Fstore%2Flevel3c%2Etam

Yeah, I'll probably just do that. Actually, I'm sure I can sell them locally...

saburai
March 9th, 2009, 10:13
Hey Rich... Take another look at that link, specifically the picture. And compare to the pics i posted!

Wondering if Scepter changed their mold to include the "Property of" stamp.

I can't make it out on my tiny laptop. whats it say?

OverlandZJ
March 9th, 2009, 10:28
In the pic on QM's site there is a "property of US government" stamping on the can.

My Sceptor does not have this (LCI does). Either Sceptor changed their mold to include it, or they are selling LCI cans as Sceptors and marking the price up 100% and adding shipping.

saburai
March 9th, 2009, 10:30
I vote for #2 ;)

OverlandZJ
April 5th, 2009, 09:33
Assuming you received your cans Rich, what was your thoughts on them?

saburai
April 5th, 2009, 10:01
They are excellent!

I bought five.

Here is a link to a good mod on expo. No doubt you have seen it:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11807

OverlandZJ
April 6th, 2009, 20:48
They are excellent!

I bought five.

Here is a link to a good mod on expo. No doubt you have seen it:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11807

Good deal, were set on water containers. :laugh2:

I didnt like the idea of butchering a can and having issues with that setup, till i remembered i have a spare cap. :idea::idea:

But at $100 for a faucet... tough to swallow.

saburai
April 7th, 2009, 04:28
Good deal, were set on water containers. :laugh2:

I didnt like the idea of butchering a can and having issues with that setup, till i remembered i have a spare cap. :idea::idea:

But at $100 for a faucet... tough to swallow.

I have an extra cap as well.

I'm looking for a cheaper alternatives.

I was thinking of using OBA to pressurize the can...

OverlandZJ
April 8th, 2009, 16:47
Sitting in the "library" i was thumbing through one of Dads RV catalogs.

www.bigdiscountrv.com I couldnt find it on the site but they have several of those hand pump faucets as in the thread you mention. Ranged from 32-45 dollars.

10-0240 810 chrome hand pump 40
10-0250 12-007* Hand Pump 34
10-0254 RV296 pump chrome 43
10-0257 Valterra pump 34

fyrfytr1717
October 4th, 2009, 19:06
I'll bet the price goes up on these once they realize their competition is not shipping to US vendors. Get your order in...

Did you put any money on this?

I've just recently starting poking around in the Adventure Forum and just came across this thread. I looked them up and sure enough, they're $24.99 now....

So, did they hold up to an entire summer of use/abuse? Are they worth $24.99?

OverlandZJ
October 4th, 2009, 20:55
No, it was a given tho..

I still wouldnt hesiate at the price, it's still the same as the Scepters went for back in the day.

No issues with mine at all, since their Mil-Spec i dount i will.

HeepSpeed
October 20th, 2009, 10:13
You're supposed to plan for a gallon a day of drinking water, plus water for dishes and what not in the backcountry where there's no running water. Perhaps two are in my future.

GSequoia
October 20th, 2009, 10:46
You're supposed to plan for a gallon a day of drinking water, plus water for dishes and what not in the backcountry where there's no running water. Perhaps two are in my future.

Yes, the rule is one gallon of water per person per day. That will pretty much guarantee you'll have way too much water. :D

I recently scored four rubber water bladders that work pretty well. The price is damn good and they are very well constructed.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/swiss20lrollupwatercarrierparts-waterbag.aspx

HeepSpeed
October 20th, 2009, 11:15
Those are kinda neat with the ropes...you could hang from a tree or something...The only thing is that it would need to be stored on top of everything so it didn't pop. Any problems with leakage>?

GSequoia
October 20th, 2009, 11:18
Those are kinda neat with the ropes...you could hang from a tree or something...The only thing is that it would need to be stored on top of everything so it didn't pop. Any problems with leakage>?

Nope. Had one full for about a year just to test it and not a drop leaked.

The rubber is quite thick so I wouldn't be too concerned about casual popping (this is military surplus), the only thing I would do is keep it covered to keep the sun off of it. These are a lot more sturdy than a sun shower which they cosmetically resemble.

WebDog
October 20th, 2009, 11:48
The pepboys near my house sells 5 gallon water cans for $9.99 they also sell gas cans for $18 same look.

I dont have a better photo of it but it looks the same size as the ones in this thread.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2480/3975434914_507481f5e7.jpg

WebDog
October 20th, 2009, 16:59
I was just looking at my can and it is a Scepter water can, the gas cans are also made by Scepter for that price...

OverlandZJ
October 20th, 2009, 18:45
Scepter makes a few different models of cannister. The water containers that started this thread are a very close copy of the Scepter Military grade, or MWC water can.

Same deal on the fuel cans, MFC being the Military designation vs the cheaper civilian styled cans.

I have one of those lt blue cans, didnt seem bad for the $11 purchase price.

One of the differences in water cans made by the various manufacturers is the material used in itself. The better ones being food grade (forget the term) that dont transmit taste/smell to the water.