• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats wrong with my 4x4?

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
Well i think i have problems with my 4 wheel drive, i have gotten stuck twice and when it is stuck i put it it 4hi. Ok now it seems that never do all 4 tires spin most of the time just my passenger front and rear do, but it sometimes switches and both drivers sides do and occasionally only one tire works. When i gun it and leave it in drive and take my foot off the gas the tires continue to spin freely as if they were getting gas, and sometimes if i switch from drive to reverse or vice versa, the thing seems to get a mind of its own. Same happens in 4lo. I was stuck yesterday and not to bad eaither and the thing just diddnt wanna use all wheels, i had to pull it out with my other jeep. Now while in 2hi and accelerating up a hill it fells like it skips every once in awhile. I fearing something is broken like a transfer case or something but i do not have all that much experience diagnosing problems.

vehicle is an auto, with a 231 transfer case.

Well i think i have problems with my 4 wheel drive, i have gotten stuck twice and when it is stuck i put it it 4hi. Ok now it seems that never do all 4 tires spin most of the time just my passenger front and rear do, but it sometimes switches and both drivers sides do and occasionally only one tire works. When i gun it and leave it in drive and take my foot off the gas the tires continue to spin freely as if they were getting gas, and sometimes if i switch from drive to reverse or vice versa, the thing seems to get a mind of its own. Same happens in 4lo. I was stuck yesterday and not to bad eaither and the thing just diddnt wanna use all wheels, i had to pull it out with my other jeep. Now while in 2hi and accelerating up a hill it fells like it skips every once in awhile. I fearing something is broken like a transfer case or something but i do not have all that much experience diagnosing problems.

vehicle is an auto, with a 231 transfer case.

with 4wd and open diffs your jeep is essentially a 2wd

I have installed a front locker in mine making it a 3wd.

i had a felling that was part of the problem, but i still don't remember getting stuck that easy. i do plan on getting lockers for my big jeep. but there outta my price range 4 now. I no that usally its supposed to transfer to the wheels that have traction, but it seems it switches to the ones that dont have traction, the wheels that seem to have a good hold on the ground just don't move or twitch like they want to but dont.

Last edited:
You should be able to get Trac Locs pretty cheap. They work well and are easy to install. I got my No Slip (improved Trac-Loc) for under $400 shipped for a 30 spline D60.

I no that usally its supposed to transfer to the wheels that have traction, but it seems it switches to the ones that dont have traction, the wheels that seem to have a good hold on the ground just don't move or twitch like they want to but dont.

No, as said, open diffs transfer power to the tires that don't have traction. They take the path of least resistance. Its easier to turn that tire that's in the air or on loose dirt, than it is the tire that has the couple of thousands of pounds of Jeep resting on it. Coincidentally, this is the tire that would do you the most good if it was receiving power.

Back