• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical issue

jrb4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving in to work and all the sudden the amp guage went from 14 all the way to 19 which set off the check guages indicator. I pulled off the road and shut the jeep off, when i tried to restart it i had no power at all, I was about to call for a tow when all the sudden I had power again the jeep started up fine and got me the rest of the way to work with no problems. This jeep did this one other time to me this past weekend. Any help with this would be greatly appriciated. This is my first cherokee. Its a 99 with a 4.0 Ive only had it about 3 weeks. I was thinking maybe a ground. Could some one let me know where the grounding strap locations are. I havent gotten the chance to get a manual for it yet
Thanks

Ground straps on mine are the battery to the chassis. then the Exhaust manifold to the chassis and then I have heard there is one behind the right rear tail light. there are prolly more but i would have to search to find them.

Another thing you will more than likely have to get the code read at AutoZone or other. It is hard to troubleshoot intermittent problems. Can't fix it when it ain't broke.

Freshen all grounds (even if they look good) and alternator and battery connections.

As you had a CHECK GAUGES issue you probably won't have a code unless in addition, you had a check engine light. Check gauges alert doesn't set codes.

First, disconnect the battery connections, polish them with scotchbrite or sandpaper, clean them with a clean rag or napkin (brake cleaner or mineral spirits helps too) and re-assemble.

Back