• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic converter - best place to buy new?

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
looking to buy a catalytic converter.
who has then best price?

Thanks,

BOB

Ebay. $60 shipped for a new Magnaflow high-flow cat with bung for o2 sensor (I have a 98). The one's without the bung are $50 shipped. They are universal, but fit right on without any issues. I just put it on last weekend. Works great.

I can't remember the vendor's name on Ebay, but just do a search for xj catalytic and it'll come up. I think the Buy It Now price is $73, but you can make an offer. I offered $60 with free shipping and they accepted it.

Ebay. $60 shipped for a new Magnaflow high-flow cat with bung for o2 sensor (I have a 98). The one's without the bung are $50 shipped. They are universal, but fit right on without any issues. I just put it on last weekend. Works great.

I can't remember the vendor's name on Ebay, but just do a search for xj catalytic and it'll come up. I think the Buy It Now price is $73, but you can make an offer. I offered $60 with free shipping and they accepted it.

That main clown on eBay is horrible with communication. I waited 3 weeks with mine after all the written 'policy' said it would ship immediately and he had listed 4 in stock when my offer was accepted. Only when I started a PayPal claim did he ship it...and we were 24 hours from his response deadline when PP contacted me saying the buyer insisted it was shipped. I gave him neg feedback and stated why. I wasn't the only one. Going back, I'd order it from a reputable dealer and pay $20-25 more.

Well, there are several ones that sell them on Ebay. i don't know the one you used. My cat came right away, I had it within a week, no issues at all. And this was just 2 weeks ago.

I looked up the vendor too, PerformancePeddler is who I used and they have over 27,000 feedback score. I'd say they're pretty reputable.

We are lucky in that our cats are just a straight piece, no bends to worry about. So those universals will drop right in.

i tried a universal on my 89, it didnt seat at the dowmpipe very well. the renix down pipe connects directly to the cat via a 4 bolt flange. unless i cut the flange off the down pipe, the clamp was unable to get tight enough for a good connection(leaked)

i tried a universal on my 89, it didnt seat at the dowmpipe very well. the renix down pipe connects directly to the cat via a 4 bolt flange. unless i cut the flange off the down pipe, the clamp was unable to get tight enough for a good connection(leaked)

That's exactly what I had done with mine. I had the exhaust shop chop everything off from the flange back. Installed the new cat, intermeddiate pipe, muffler, and tail pipe. That's been 2 or 3 years ago, and I haven't had an issue yet. Exhaust is one of the few things that I don't mind having someone else do on my rigs. Plus I'm pretty good friends with the owner of the shop.

That's exactly what I had done with mine. I had the exhaust shop chop everything off from the flange back. Installed the new cat, intermeddiate pipe, muffler, and tail pipe. That's been 2 or 3 years ago, and I haven't had an issue yet. Exhaust is one of the few things that I don't mind having someone else do on my rigs. Plus I'm pretty good friends with the owner of the shop.

i forget why, but i didnt feel like messing with the downpipe. weird, i have the opposite feeling, the xj exhaust is so simple i could not image paying someone to fix it, but i dont have a friend who is a shop owner. glad it worked for and i probably should have done the same, i just cant remember back that far.

Dang... price of the Magnaflow CC's f/ Autozone have REALLY gone UP in price compared to what you guys say you paid. Local A-Zone now is $114 + tax... up f/ around $60 + tax. What's the deal here???

No wonder people have been steeling CC's f/ dealerships and individuals. Must be the metal in the CC's have skyrocketed in price.

Back