• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Rear Leaf Packs

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search, didn't get the answers I was looking for. Here's my dilemma: I put on a Clayton's 6.5" kit about a year and a half ago, at the time the kit included Rock Krawler coils/leaf packs. It netted about the advertised lift (maybe 6" actually) and the rear sat slightly higher than the front like it was supposed to. After numerous wheeling trips and the springs being thoroughly broken-in, the rear leaf packs have sagged about 2 inches and are bent at either end of the spring perch. Although I wasn't feeling it on the trail, there was apparently an issue with some spring wrap. So now I'm looking to replace the leaf packs with something better, as well as add a traction-bar.

My question: Who makes the best rear leaf pack in a 5.5"-6.5" lift height range? My thoughts at this point are going with RE 5.5" packs. I've read and heard that they flex well, give slightly more lift than advertised, and are a nice riding supple spring.

Who can recommend a different leaf pack based on your personal experiences?

Thanks,

Doug

My question: Who makes the best rear leaf pack in a 5.5"-6.5" lift height range?

If you have the bucks, Deaver is the high quality choice.

DGP Tailgunners might be something to look at.

The 3.5" RE rear packs I installed rode hard and collapsed within months.
Yes, they were properly bumpstopped.

Yea when i was shopping for new leafs.....DGP were my top choice...heard they were awsome...but i just ended up just getting rustys....had to help my mom paying her bills and i needed leafs asap because my olds ones broke

www.dpgoffroad.com

Yea when i was shopping for new leafs.....DGP were my top choice...heard they were awsome...but i just ended up just getting rustys....had to help my mom paying her bills and i needed leafs asap because my olds ones broke

www.dpgoffroad.com
Got a link to actual leaf springs on that site that aren't made by someone else?

Deaver, Alcan, and Biggoffroad make the best springs IMO.

Deaver, Alcan, and Biggoffroad make the best springs IMO.

agreed x2. without getting into a custom pack from any of those three, next best would probably be RE. that being said, im about to redo my rear with a goal of 5.5"-6.5" overall. i plan to use RE 4.5" leafs, extanded shackle, and shackle relocation setup.

I love my Big Offroad springs. Ride well on road and flex great off.

From what ive understood, theyre built to actually be about 1" taller then advertised so that when they sag they sit right at advertised height.

The only other companies id consider are Deaver and National.

If I had the money I would get RE springs. But I did the bastard packs and got about 5.5. The only thing i cant tell you is if it sags after time. But I think other people can chime in and let you know.

Deaver only lists a 4" XJ spring on their site. Considering the DPG Tailgunners, I've had luck with their other products.

Keep the opinions coming.

Deaver will make custom springs no problem. Most people just bring theyre rig to them and tell them what they want and they make a set specifically for that rig. Since your in WA im sure they could work with you to make a spring that works for you.

Most race teams have scales that measure the weight at each wheel, take your Jeep to one of those shops with it in "trail ready" form and get it weighed. Give Deaver the results from the rear and total weight and how much lift you want. They will make the springs for you.

I'm running RE 4.5, 1.5 TeraFlex shackles and shackle relocation brackets.

I carry 300-400# of gear on the trail, it rides great, flexes awesome and after 3 years are still holding up well.

But no matter what spring you get make sure you have the bump stops set so that the springs go no further than "flat" and try to control axle wrap with a traction bar and avoid blocks like the plague!

Your springs will love you for a long time.

Blocks have never been a consideration, my bump stops are set for contact way before the spring approaches flat, and a traction bar is absolutely going on at the same time as the new springs.

My rig is probably on the average side weight wise for a built/armored XJ, scaled it at 4500 lbs in it's current configuration. The rear is a bit on the heavy side with the Trail Ready bumper including wraparound tube side guards and swingarm with 35" spare tire.

Thanks for the opinions. Keep 'em coming if you've got more.

Back