• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ intake on a RENIX

ct97cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering the best way to get a 99+ intake on to a RENIX rig.

make an adaptor plate and use the RENIX Throttle Body?

-or-

do some sensor mods to get an HO TB to work with RENIX?

Any other issues with this swap, before I buy the new intake manifold?

Tell me about your experience, good or bad...

Thanks

I plan to use a better head (7120 or 0630) - my question is more: what throttle body to use, and how to get from from the 99+ intake to a RENIX system of sensors...

Mod the sensors and run the HO throttle body. While your at it might as well go to a bored one as well.

The TPS needs to be adapted to the HO TB. You can buy an adapter from HESCO, or try and modify it yourself.

IIRC, the RENIX IAC bolts right in so you shouldnt need to modify it at all.

The Map sensor wont change at the sensor end, but it most likey will change how it plugs into the HO TB. It may be best just to go to the dealer, and pick up a new vacuum line that runs from the MAP to the TB and be done with it. Just remember when they ask what year, tell them anywhere between 91-95.. just pick a year.

the RENIX IAC bolts right in so you shouldnt need to modify it at all

But the pintles are different between the HO and RENIX. The HO IAC will not work in a RENIX(ask me how I know:doh:) I'm not sure about going the other way(RENIX IAC in a HO TB) but I'm sure the pintles are different.

when i do the head and intake/exhaust mod on my 89, im going to get the renix TB bored to 60mm and drill tap holes in the intake to except the throttle body. no sensor adapter for the tps or iac problem, just need to make the throttle linkage the correct length.

Dont use the RENIX head .. plain and simple. Go with a 7120 from a 91-95, and put the 99+ intake on it.

Your waisting your time if you try to make it work with the RENIX head.
just cerious why the 7120 is the better HO head to go with? Im looking for one in the JY to buy and have rebuilt for my 98 HO.

just curious why the 7120 is the better HO head to go with? Im looking for one in the JY to buy and have rebuilt for my 98 HO.

I guess its debatable just as anything else is... but its definetly a better flowing head than a RENIX.
A 0630 from a 96-99 is basically the same as a 7120, it just doesnt have the boss for the coolant temp sending unit (to the gauge). Sometimes you will find one with a small bolt in it, on others it wont be there at all.
Id be scared to try and use a 0331 from a 00-01. They are prone to cracking.

Id rather use the HO TB and adapt the TPS, than try and adapt the old RENIX TB. Not only can you not go as big (boring it out) with the RENIX... you dont have any options besides the crappy intake tube for the TB to the filter box.

you can bore the renix tb to 60mm and ive heard some have gone as big as 61mm.

the tube to the air filter can be modified or swapped out and custum tubing can be made. all you need to do is cut the renix intake tubing were it connects at the top of the tb and mate that to custom tubing. i cant see this as being a problem, very simple actually. drilling an taping 3 holes in the aluminum intake, another easy mod.

i really dont see the advantage of using the 91+ thottle body and modifying the tps to work. only small advantage is 91+ can be bored to 62mm. those extra 2 mm is not enough for me to switch and have to modify the tps to work.

Back