• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A new problem. NSS? Brake pedal switch?

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
Weird. I pulled into the drive way the other night. As I can't open the tire carrier in the garage.I stopped outside so I could get my bike out of the back. After offloading my bike. I got back in to put the Jeep in the garage. The key would turn but the starter wouldn't turn over. I thought maybe the NSS needed a little help so I tried to move the shifter through the gears. The button that you have to press to unlock the shifter wouldn't move even with me depressing the brake pedal. I'm in the middle of pulling the NSS to service it. Would the NSS cause the shifter to lock? Another thing. I wanted to push the Jeep into the garage so I could work on it better. I figured I could put the T-case in neutral and push it in. The T-case won't go into neutral. It will go into 4-high but not neutral or 4-low. The lever won't go passed 4-low. I don't want to force it. Does any one have any ideas?

Another question: I know that you must depress the brake pedal to be able to shift from park. How does that mechanism work?

Thanks

Another question: I know that you must depress the brake pedal to be able to shift from park. How does that mechanism work?
Thanks

This is how it works on a 2001 XJ, according to my FSM.

The Brake Transmission Shifter/Ignition Interlock (BTSI), is a cable and solenoid operated system. It interconnects the automatic transmission floor mounted shifter to the steering column ignition switch. The system locks the shifter into the PARK position. The Interlock system is engaged whenever the ignition switch is in the LOCK or ACCESSORY position. An additional electrically activated feature will prevent shifting out of the PARK position unless the brake pedal is depressed at least one-half an inch. A magnetic holding device in line with the park/brake interlock cable is energized when the ignition is in the RUN position. When the key is in the RUN position and the brake pedal is depressed, the shifter is unlocked and will move into any position. The interlock system also prevents the ignition switch from being turned to the LOCK or ACCESSORY position unless the shifter is fully locked into the PARK position.

This is how it works on a 2001 XJ, according to my FSM.

The Brake Transmission Shifter/Ignition Interlock (BTSI), is a cable and solenoid operated system. It interconnects the automatic transmission floor mounted shifter to the steering column ignition switch. The system locks the shifter into the PARK position. The Interlock system is engaged whenever the ignition switch is in the LOCK or ACCESSORY position. An additional electrically activated feature will prevent shifting out of the PARK position unless the brake pedal is depressed at least one-half an inch. A magnetic holding device in line with the park/brake interlock cable is energized when the ignition is in the RUN position. When the key is in the RUN position and the brake pedal is depressed, the shifter is unlocked and will move into any position. The interlock system also prevents the ignition switch from being turned to the LOCK or ACCESSORY position unless the shifter is fully locked into the PARK position.
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

I'm just reinstalling the NSS switch. It was pretty grungy inside. We'll see what happens once it's reinstalled. If that doesn't work, I'll check out the ignition switch.

I'm pretty sure the battery is okay. The dome light comes on brightly when I open the door. The biggest puzzler has been why the shifter won't unlock. If the solenoid that unlocks it is tied to the ignition switch, that's a great place to start. If it were the brake switch, I would figure that the vehicle would start, but still not unlock the shifter. I've got the ignition switch out. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow. IIRC, they aren't very expensive. In fact, the one I have might be under warranty.

Enough voltage to light a tiny bulb versus excite a solenoid?

Check the voltage before throwing parts at it.

Discharging batteries sneak up on you--they will even let you drive down the road until the voltage drops below about 9 volts, and then you are sitting there.

Try jumping it with another vehicle. If everthing starts to work (who knows, you might get lucky), it will keep you from tearing everthing up. Eliminate the easy stuff first. A bright dome light doesn't tell you anything.

The problem wasn't the ignition switch it was the Immobilizer that the Jeep came equipped with. For those that don't know what that is, it's a theft deterrent device that interrupts several key circuits on the vehicle. There is a key which acts as a jumper to complete these circuits. The holder for this key had broken so that the circuits remained open. I repaired the problem by removing the device and hard wiring the cut circuits back together again. I knew the device was there and decided to check it out. While checking it out, I discovered the problem. I'm just glad that the holder gave up the ghost in my driveway and not on the highway.

Back