• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Local XJ's with Warn 8274 (Lynnwood WA area)

Hey y'all,

I picked up a great deal on a Warn 8274 winch, it's a little old, but works well. I've been checking out resources on the web and can't seem to find a good mounting solution for this baby.

On one hand, I like the Multi-Mount idea, because sometimes you don't want to pull yourself forward over/off something... and seeing as how i do a lot of solo exploring, having the ability to move the winch is a huge bonus.

On the other hand, I realize the strongest mount may very well be a bumper mount. I hear ProtoFab4x4.com will build a bumper modified to mount the 8274, but was looking for other potential solutions as well.

If I could find someone local (~20 miles from Lynnwood) who wouldn't mind me coming to check out how you mounted your winch, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,

E!

welcome to the site. im in lynnwood but i dont have a winch yet. got any picts of your rig?

any way if you dont want to replace the front bumper might take a look at this
http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

The 8274 is not a prime candidate for a multi mount option. Of course it could be done with significant effort, but would be completely custom.

If I had an 8274 to mount on the front of an XJ it would be a completly custom front bumper that would mount the winch as low and as far back (cut into the grill) as possible.

I can only think of 1 person locally (on NAXJA) who has an 8274 on their XJ and he is not located near Lynnwood. His mount is semi custom on a Moab Outpost 4x4 bumper FWIW.

Do you have the capability/expectation of building your own mount/bumper for this winch?

Michael

I have the 8274 mounted to my XJ, I modified the bumper that was for the Low 9000 and put alittle more beef on the front of the frame and it has held up well
My avitar pic shows the bumper with the 9000, 8274 looks about the same just taller.
I wouldn`t want to be carring the 8274 on a portable carrier.That thing is Heavy....

Well, the new news is that the truck this came off of (Decommissioned SaR truck) also had a custom adapter plate that they thought was part of the original mount, so I just have to pick that up, and it'll bolt right up to a standard winch mount.

As for the multi-mount and it's weight with the 8274... I'm a big guy, 6'3" 295lbs and, no, it wouldn't be a problem, unless I was in mud... then it may be a bit of a challenge.

Now, if I could just find a suitable bumper... LOL the saga continues!

I'm thinking JCR, and, dang, I'm in Michigan at the moment, and I have time to run out there on Monday as well... hummmmmm!

Later guys, it's 1am here, and the kids are running me ragged! I'll be glad to get back to Lynn-tucky and get some rest.

Good times!

E!

I had one on a multi-mount would never do that again, And I am 6'2 and 200lbs. It was fine if your on flat dry land but once in the woods and you need to move it then comes the problems. You also have to think when your out on solo runs you really really need to be safe and moving that thing around could be a bad move on slick uneven ground. But they are damn nice winches and I like the fact of the 200' of cable.

Hmm. that makes me think you could put 300' of 1/4" synthetic line on it and loose about 50lbs

Dave

LOL that setup had to be 1/2 your weight!

When I said I wheel solo, I meant "One Rig", not one person. If I'm alone, I take it real easy, like just up and back the switchbacks at Reiter, or exploring the Forest Service Roads. If I'm with another person, I'll go little further, but without a second vehicle, I keep'er pretty tame.

For Example: Earlier this year, my (at that time) girl and I took a 50-some-odd mile dirt road from Northeast Washington across into Idaho and down to I-90 past Priest Lake. It was nothing but a dirt road, but we explored the off-shoot trails and many times she wanted to go on, and my reply was something to the effect that we could do that ONLY if she were willing to leave ME with a broken/stuck Jeep and the dog while she made the hike out to the road... yeah, we didn't get too far on some of those trails.

SO, while I really like the Multi-Mount idea for the "Single Vehicle" wheeling, I think I may just stick with a front bumper mount... and drive through mud holes in Reverse. :spin1:

I have NO idea what an 8274 weights. I have a Ramsey 8K winch on a multi mount (totally custom made) and it weights over 100#. The weight was not my issues with useing a multi mount for that winch (as I said in my original post it can be done but would be completely custom). My concern is with the structure of the bumper, mounts, winch mount, tie in to the bumper, multi mount, both front and rear.

Michael

I fly back to Washington tomorrow and will try to weigh the winch, but I recall it's about 105 pounds, and I do hae a custom adaptor plate coming that bolts to the standard winch mounts... I have to see how far this thing sticks out - I may just have to finish ff my bumper design and get a fab shop to laser cut the blanks for me, as I have a really cool idea for a very stout, yet lightweight bumper. :twak: Or I could just buy one... LOL

Eric (I'm sooooooo confused!)

If your still looking for a bumper, the guy I got mine from makes them low profile and as close to the grill as he can.
I didn't have to cut in to my grill but if you want to get that much closer.... Mine pushs the gril back.

interesting. how much for said bumpers? i kinda want one where the winch is between my raidator and grill.

Back