• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose Serp Belt --> problems?

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
My freind replaced his serp belt recently and after driving it it started acting funny. The belt was squeeling (lose I assume) and then if he had to many things on (head lights, wipers, heat) his voltage would go down close to the red. And he also got close to overheating.
Could the problem be that the belt is to lose and is not spinning the pulleys effectively?

yes, there is a tool you can buy called a kirkit (iirc from napa) to correctly set the adjustment. I personally just tighten it until it will only turn 90* with my hand

Serpentine belts need to be adjusted with a certain amount of tension....
You can purchase an item called from NAPA that measures belt tension...
I believe it is called Krickit or Klikit.....

The tool you need is the "Krikit II" not the "Krikit". The belt should be @ 170 lbs. tension for a used belt and 190 for a new belt. A 'new' belt is one which has seen less than 15 minutes of engine run time. Set his @ 170.

could be belt too loose or routed wrong. serpintine belts need to be tight and the ribbed side of serp belt go on ridged surfaced pulleys and flat side of serp belt goes on flat surfaced pulleys.

Would it make a major difference if there were mud/dirt in the pullies? Should he clean them out?

in the grooves/ridges or in the middle where the bearings are?

clean the mud and dirt off, but dont go crazy spraying water all over the engine. then you may have a no start condition.

21ZYuyXcP3L._SL160_.jpg

Found it online for $17.16

http://store.scienceblog.com/1-15721321-B000CRDLZM-Gates_Krikit_II_V_Belt_Tension_Gauge.html

Back