• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump stops

sp5368

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed 32" mudders on my jeep, I took my jeep out and made the tires rub in the rear. They tucked up inside the well and rubbed just inside the plastic liner. If I add the the correct bump stops to stop the rubbing I have about 3.25" between the bump stop and axle at rest. I have a 3.5 lift and 4" bs on the wheels this just seems like not enough space for wheel travel down the road.

do the math and add bumpstops it really is easy.

You will have much more "flex" on the trails than you ever will on pavement. Add some rectangular or square steel tube as a spacer between your rear bump stops and the frame. You can can change to thicker or thinner tube as needed.

if the rubbing isn't serious enough to chew up your tires, and you don't mind it, don't worry about the bumpstops.

Otherwise, either get smaller tires or more lift.

Have you cut your fenders for more clearance?

More lift is not going to solve the rubbing because the suspension will articulate until it hits the bumpstops and if they arent long enough the tires will rub.

It is as easy as just flexing the suspension to where you are safely not hitting anything and the measuring the distance before your bumpstop hits. If its the front you can use hockey pucks or check the prerunner forum for protyhane info. If its the rear then you add tube under the stock bumpstop or look at my pics or crazyjims pics on the prerunner forum.

That was my concern the 3.25 space for travel not how to stop the travel, I have already figured that out but looking at it just seems like not enough space.

That was my concern the 3.25 space for travel not how to stop the travel, I have already figured that out but looking at it just seems like not enough space.
Not enough space for what? So at ride hight you have 3.25" between your bump and the axle? So are you rubbing the rear or the front? If you are rubbing the front just take the wheel well liner off and see if you rub anywhere else.

I have the RE 3.5" lift on mine with 33's. I'm not sure what the distance between my axle and bumpstop is, but she flexes really well. I have 2" extended bumpstops in the front with stock in the rear. At full stuff all the way to the bumpstops the tires will just barely touch.

Here's some pics:

OcalaTrip1-24-09069-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09070-1.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09074.jpg

OcalaTrip1-24-09082.jpg

That was my concern the 3.25 space for travel .....but looking at it just seems like not enough space.

Space for what ?

My 2000 has a RE 3.5 lift, and 31"s on 15x8 -3.75 BS. The bumpstops are lowered about 2" and I have about 3.5" between the rear axle and the bottom of the bumpstop.

I drove 1,200 miles to Moab, wheeled for 6 days, drove 1,200 miles home, and then drove to work on Monday.

Look closely at the pic, the rear axle is stuffed exactly opposite of the front axle.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
They tucked up inside the well and rubbed just inside the plastic liner

Are you talking about the liner that covers the bolts an nuts on the flair? I had to remove mine when i stuffed the tire in there, rub alot.. It didn't cut the tire..

First off thanks for the replys, my main concern was not flex but limiting suspension travel down the road.
When driving down the road do your tires hit your fenders? Well I kinda doubted it... Just bumpstop and dont plan on jumping it. If you have 3"+ of uptravel your not doing too bad. Hell I rally mine pretty good and I think I only have 4-5".

Back