• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't get electrical connector to open

92xjsp

NAXJA Forum User
I've got one of those plug-in electrical connector thingies that I just an't get open. There was an orange latch piece on it that threaded between teeth. I've slid that piece out and now the teeth appear to be free to move, but the thing won't open and doesn't feel like it is giving at all. Three sides of both halves of the connector appear sheer, and I've tried inserting a screwdriver blade down the fourth and twisting while I pull, but still no luck. What other fasteners besides the teeth do they use to keep these things closed?

Usually I end up breaking those things. Sounds like you're close to getting it. Can you put the screwdriver in at a different angle? You probably can't get a picture of it, eh. Or tell us which connector it is.

Make sure you are depressing the release tab fully while attempting to separate the connector halves....
As for the actual problem of separating the connector halves... grab the connector halves firmly and wiggle the connector halves side to side.... while gently pulling...
I have found this to work well.....

Mine always seem to break one tab or the other. Zip ties keep them together when I'm done.

Well, I busted off two little pieces before I could see the one more tooth down low that was holding it together, then once I lifted that last tooth it was easy to open. Now when I put it back together that one last tooth is the only thing holding it together, but that should be enough to work. I'll give it a wrap or two of electrical tape for extra holding power.

Thanks for the replies.

zip tie it.

I have good luck by --Squeezing the connectors TOGETHER--Press (or lift latch)-- THEN pull apart.

Rocking side to side helps on some.

orange

Back