• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to borrow a race radio for KOH.

swbooking

NAXJA Forum User
Were running Checkpoint 2 at KOH and we need to grab a race radio. Anyone got one we could borrow? Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks.

Where's check point two?

:D :D

I now know the folks at check points 1, 2, and 3........I have a few clues, how about another one? :)

I have an HT and a mobile but I plan on using both but If you end up without a radio when you get there, then let me know and you can use one. Consider me as Plan C

Where's check point two?

:D :D

I now know the folks at check points 1, 2, and 3........I have a few clues, how about another one? :)

Hint: Its in between checkpoint 1 and checkpoint 3 :D

djblade311 said:
I have an HT and a mobile but I plan on using both but If you end up without a radio when you get there, then let me know and you can use one. Consider me as Plan C

Cool, you'll be our plan C then .!.:D.!.

FordGuy said:
You can rent them from PCI
Thanks Rich, ill check that out.

Last edited:
I have several Icomms,Roadmaster and a programable Kenwood race radios.Do you know what freq. you need?The Kenwood would work best,but it only has about a 15 mile range.

I have several Icomms,Roadmaster and a programable Kenwood race radios.Do you know what freq. you need?The Kenwood would work best,but it only has about a 15 mile range.

U selling any of those?

Thanks Curt I appreciate it. Ill let you know what happens but looks like hes going to be at KOH as well.

We'll be up there Thursday probably about Noonish so look out for this rig, we'll be in it:

n6310842_34578825_9132.jpg

Yaesu FT1802's are on sale at HRO right now, $129, or 140ish out the door. Just picked one up and modded it for Cal.

Cool, thanks for the heads up Mark. Thats a pretty good deal. In all reality though we're probably never gonna need a race radio besides for volunteering at KOH so buying one doesnt really seem worth it...

Cool, thanks for the heads up Mark. Thats a pretty good deal. In all reality though we're probably never gonna need a race radio besides for volunteering at KOH so buying one doesnt really seem worth it...

That's a ham radio. And a nice one at that. Get it, mod it for KOH, then get your ham license. The you can scoff at the POS CB.

- W6MKE

Since im dumb at ham and race radios:

What mods would need to be done to that radio to make it ready for KOH?

Since im dumb at ham and race radios:

What mods would need to be done to that radio to make it ready for KOH?

Pop the front display off, desolder jumper 3, and then put it back together, reset it by holding down 3 of the front buttons when you power up. Took me like 5 minutes to mod cal's. if you buy one, just bring it and we'll do it there.

Did I mention some of us are radio snobs and scoff at the CB'ers. :) I won't go into the "why should I get ham radio" other than to say if you find yourself flopped/broke/trapped/pinned, and CB doesn't work and you're out of cell phone range, you can almost always hit a ham radio repeater. We were talking to San Diego from Big Bear while caravaning with ham radio last year, while Johnny who was leading couldn't hear the guys in the back of the caravan on CB. Remi saved some guy's life on the Rubicon because he had ham radio and was able to call for help. Dig around on pirate 4x4 some time there's a whole thread. You'll need an antenna with that, get the MFJ 1729 (the one with gain), about 35 bucks.

Last edited:
sounds easy enough. What is de-soldering jumper 3 doing?

sounds easy enough. What is de-soldering jumper 3 doing?

It just changes what bands the radio will transmit on. Ham freqs are 144-148 mhz, business band, marine and other services are around 150 mhz. While the radio could tune to those freqs it can't receive on them. The FCC requires the mfg to do a type acceptance on the frequencies it's used on. I know in Japan the cabs and stuff use ham for business band all the time. It's just in the US they're sticklers.

Yeah maybe one day ill go to ham... :D

Thanks mark. If we end up grabbing it ill make sure to check with you before i mod it. Ill search around on it and see what i can find.

It just changes what bands the radio will transmit on. Ham freqs are 144-148 mhz, business band, marine and other services are around 150 mhz. While the radio could tune to those freqs it can't receive on them. The FCC requires the mfg to do a type acceptance on the frequencies it's used on. I know in Japan the cabs and stuff use ham for business band all the time. It's just in the US they're sticklers.

I did the wire cut on the little Kenwood and it works great.It was about $165.For the incar race radios,they are all done by PCI.

Back