• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chop fab question

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
so ive searched the threads and havent found anything on this, or anyone thats even thought about it for that matter. i chopped the rear portion of my jeep and was planning on closing it off with the rear hatch...however, i made a soft top for the time being and it slants down from the roof to the tail gait...call me crazy but i really like the way it looks. so i got to thinkin..what if instead of closing it off with the hatch permanently, i instead build a mold, and fabricate a convertible fiberglass top for it that was slanted like the rag top. what you guys think?

dont know whos this is but sorta like this....
aev_xj_africana_image02.jpg

but like i said, fabricated out of fiberglass...any comments (besides im crazy)????

That was a custom design by American Expedition Vehicles.

It would look similar to a Humvee.(The rear at least) I would just make sure you have a secure way of fastening it. Wouldn't want it flying off in traffic.

i would bolt it on...im thinkin i can make the bed side and the pillar flat and then drill the wholes where need be and weld a nut on the other side...then do the same for the top and thread the bolts through from the other side and VIOLLA!! bolted on...im thinkin 3 on each bedside, and two on the pillars....i'd prolly do the same for the roof, except i think i want the top to fit under the actual roof so the bolts would go through the roof and would be fastened on the underside of the fiberglass...i think....im still toiling with how exactly to do it and what would be the best way.

i would bolt it on...im thinkin i can make the bed side and the pillar flat and then drill the wholes where need be and weld a nut on the other side...then do the same for the top and thread the bolts through from the other side and VIOLLA!! bolted on...im thinkin 3 on each bedside, and two on the pillars....i'd prolly do the same for the roof, except i think i want the top to fit under the actual roof so the bolts would go through the roof and would be fastened on the underside of the fiberglass...i think....im still toiling with how exactly to do it and what would be the best way.

if your gonna bolt it on why did you chop it in the first place?

Will the fiberglass top be on sometimes when wheeling, as in inclement weather situations? If so I gotta believe the unibody stresses would crack the hell out of an all fiberglass top, unless it's gonna be hella thick. In which case you better add a couple inches of lift back there for the wieght increase. In any case, I'd also worry about bolt holes getting egged out and what not. It is a very interesting idea though.

Why not attach it similar to what the factory hatch was, have hinges on the top and have it so the whole thing will open up. and have a latch to secure it closed.

well, why do people chop the tops just to close it off again permanently?..who knows..maybe its just we get bored and like to tap into our creative sides...but the point is i can still take the top off and it will be as though i chopped it and when the top is on, then its just closed in. here is why..... i like it chopped, but my other half doesnt. soooo, im trying to figure out a way i can have it all, the top off when im by myself, and throw the top on when needed.

hmmmm, i never thought of the cracking aspect of it.....ok then, option B....perhaps sheet metal on a frame. it may be heavy, but not as heavy as an @$$ load of fiberglass, and it wont crack. i know it will weigh bit, but i figure i could put my huge bronco top on by myself, so i should be able to figure somethin out. like i said, im still in the scheming stage figuring it out. but rest assured....I WILL!!

Back