• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 with belt problem

jerseyjeep01

NAXJA Forum User
OK, this isn't my Xj but a co workers. For some reason his 87 with the 4.0l keeps shredding belts. He noticed that the fan clutch pulley was out of alignment so he went to the pick and pull for a replacement. Even with the new fan clutch and pulley it is still out of align. What are some of the causes for this pulley to be out of line like this?? Is there a way to make an adjustment? Sorry I cant explain myself better, he just came to me with this problem today over the phone. Thanks a lot in advance! :wave1:

Also could be the bearings inside the AC compressor bracket that the clutch fan shaft rides in.

I had to replace mine with a new one(it comes as a AC bracket/bearings/shaft assembly). They are getting hard to find though

Has the water pump been replaced recently. Sometimes they will give you the wrong pump at the parts store. If I remember right there are two different ones that look quite similiar.

x2 on the pump, IIRC one turns backwards from what you require. I would also check the bearings on all parts.

I looked at it today after work. Its definitely the clutch fan pulley. It is out of parallel with the rest of the accessory pulleys. I can figure out how to realign it with the rest.

I looked at it today after work. Its definitely the clutch fan pulley. It is out of parallel with the rest of the accessory pulleys. I can figure out how to realign it with the rest.

I would make sure that the shaft/bearings are not pulling out of the bracket. You really need to take a close look at it.

The shaft that the clutch fan goes on has a bearing mounted on it and in the bracket that also holds the ac compressor. You need a new bracket, however the dealer has discontinued them (they don't sell them anymore). Your best bet is to get one from the salvage yard.

If you search, some time ago someone tried to replace the bearing on the shaft. I don't recall the outcome, but it could give you some good ideas.

Am I missing something? My 90's fan clutch mounts to the shaft in my water pump, and I don't think that it has a serviceable bearing.

Of course, they might have done things different on the 87.

It made me wonder too, as normally we would call this the water pump pulley. Unless he is referring to the compressor clutch pulley. So it would have to be the wrong water pump, or it almost looks like that pulley has an offset and possibly could be installed backwards.

Am I missing something? My 90's fan clutch mounts to the shaft in my water pump, and I don't think that it has a serviceable bearing.

Of course, they might have done things different on the 87.

Take another look! On a 90 4.0 the clutch/fan mounts to the idler shaft on the AC bracket, there is nothing mounted to the water pump except the WP pulley.

Both have a similar "4" bolt pattern. The clutch/fan is on the pass side and the E-fan is on the drivers side, the WP is dead center on the motor.

I had played around with trying to rebuild these idler shaft/bearings but have had no luck finding the right bearing or even getting the old bearing off of the shaft. The shaft/bearing assembly can be pressed out of the bracket with no issues though.

I got lucky and my local Jeep dealer found a "new old stock" bracket sitting on a parts shelf somewhere in BFE and had it shipped in for me, $75. A deal if you ask me!

Back