• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non-slip paint for sliders?

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
I got some new JCR stage 2 sliders delivered and I need to get them painted.

I was thinking about some type of non-slip paint on the round bar part that comes out and will likely be used as a step and then regular paint for the rest.

Anyone try this and find something that does or doesn't work well for that?

I'd like to avoid someone slipping off the bar if it's wet either getting in or out.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XJSL2&Category_Code=XJS

At autozone the other day I saw spraypaint bedliner, sounds like thats what you want.

Thats a good idea, only thing is i would think the grip would wear over time, use, and the weather... IMO paint the whole thing what you want, then tape off the bottom of the bar and hit the top step part with spray bedliner. Give your sliders a two tone lol!

Back in the day I painted the top of the back bumper of an old Subaru with bedliner. I rolled it on, but when I was mixing it, I added a couple handfuls of sand. If you brushed your knee on it, it would just about take your skin off, but it was great to climb on.

Yeah, on our boat we've used sand mixed in the paint to create a non-slip surface on the decks.

I painted my sliders and bumpers with POR 15 last spring, then used a standard krylon or rustolium as an colored paint.
A few wheeling trips and the krylon has scraped off but the POR is still solid. No rust either after a salty winter in PA. I just touch it up with kylon when it gets too bad.

Edit: nevermind you said non-slip:gee:

Last edited:
Don't do it! I put some stick-on "skateboard" stuff on mine so the kids could get in without slipping and it will just tear up your legs. I guess if you really wanted to do it, just sprinkle a handful of sand on them as you spray.

Also I would suggest powder-coating them rather then paint. I painted mine and I'm kicking myself now. After 2 years they are starting to show some surface rust.

Nice, I think I might try the sand. I'll tape off the tube so I'm only sanding the top part where you'd want to stand. Paint and sand are easy and cheap to come by and repair too.

It would would seem sand might trap some moisture under the paint and cause premature rust. Especially NC sand.

Pay a little extra and have JCR weld some diamond plate material to the top to provide a flatter stepping surface. You'd be the only guy around with custom rock rails. Or do what the rest of us lemmings have done and use grip tape on the top. Cheap and effective.

Lowes sells non-skid tape in 8' rolls and a couple of inches wide, just right for the top of a slider.

I used it on my Detours slider/stiffeners

19.jpg

Thats a good idea, only thing is i would think the grip would wear over time, use, and the weather...

Lol you must not have ever skateboarded. This is the one part of the board that actually lasts the longest. Forget about it wearing out with shoe traffic, try the opposite. It will wreck your shoes, and your skin. But works great for grip! :)

you could take it to a bed liner shop and have them coat the tops only. I'd imagine it wouldnt be no more than $200. that is a little pricey though.

With the grip take though, I remember getting some mud in the tape and it would take so long to get off. So your whole car will be clean, but there will probably still be some mud in there though. Then again I haven't owned a skateboard in the 7 years.

Back