• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88' NP231AMC??? swap onto 96'

xjwht613

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new transfer case fast. My 96' is my DD. I have the 88' NP231AMC (it says AMC on the tag). The 88' is manual trans. not sure which one. AX15 or BA10/5. Is it possible it will swap into the 96' Automatic. Are the output splines on the AW4 and the AX15 the same. Also is the AMC the same as the J.

Last edited:
89.5 was when they switched from ba10/5 to the ax-15. AMC owned Jeep before Chrysler bought them so it should be fine as far as that goes. However, your trans has a 23-spline output, and that t-case probably has 21 spline input. So, if you were to swap input shafts then yes you could use it. I recommend maybe selling or trading it for a 23-spline.

the gear cut of the input changed sometime between 88 and 96 so you cant swap them - I think it was like '95 or something but I know the 96 is different from the 88

Back