• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel wrap options?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... so I've been looking at adding a steering wheel wrap to my '96 XJ... problem is, the large spokes @ ~ 4 & 8 o'clock...

My current OE steering wheel is peeling something fierce along the entire top... seems to be a common problem I've seen.

I've used Wheelskins before and they are really good quality... however w/the large spokes (see above) I'm not sure how you'd lace something like that.

Any suggestions other than trying to find a new (read good used) steering wheel at a salvage yard.

I also tried one of those cheapie Autozone 'rubber' slip-ons and that stunk up my interior so bad over 2 days I had to return it. What a waste...

Any suggestions appreciated.

I put a Wheelskin on a New Beetle a while back. Those wheels have HUGE spokes. What I did was just lace as far as I could, then just loop the lace around through the facing holes, so it looked like it was stitched. If you cinch it up tight enough, it actually stays on perfectly, and it looks good.

Thanks for the info. If you happen to have pics of your install could you post up so we/I could see how it turned out?

I think I'll order a wheelskin and give it a go on my XJ in the very near future.

Thanks for the info. If you happen to have pics of your install could you post up so we/I could see how it turned out?

I think I'll order a wheelskin and give it a go on my XJ in the very near future.

I wish I did. Just take your time and make sure you're threading the holes in the right sequence. I got off-track about halfway through and had to unthread about 20 holes.

Good luck!

I use the solid black one from Bell also on my 96. They work great, look great, and have no laces and crap to mess with. They offer really good grip too. Fit perfect on my 96 XJ sport

~James

Back