• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Troubles

chaz_97_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to remove factory rear bumper to install new aftermarket bumper. Any body have any hints, tips or tricks to getting the bracket bolts out of "frame". As you can image pretty much everything is rusted and does not want to come out without breaking.

I have spent hours searching and have yet to find anything helpful

thanks in advance for any help.

soak the bolts with your favorite rust loosener: pb blaster or equiv. let soak for up to a week if they are that stubborn.

not sure if you have done this, but when i remove the stock bumper, i remove the bumper from the brackets first, then remove the brackets. after that, it just like removing any rusted bolt. pb blaster and heat, or melt wax into the threads, or just snap the bolts, drill and retap.

my 89xj have been in PA for all its life, so rusted bolts are the norm. if your jeep is in an area with alot of rust from road salt and moisture, you should always have a plan/tools for removing rusted bolts/nuts.

thanks for all the ideas, I have been soaking them with PB blaster for the last couple weeks. have plenty of access to tools and whatever else...just trying to make it as easy as possible. only thing left is the brackets. Heating them up was my next idea, so i guess ill wait and see what happens...thanks again

Use a really big breaker bar or pipe.

Break out the sawzall and cut the bumper off at the brackets, leaving just exposed bolts and bracket stubs. You'll have much easier access and more options (space for tools/hands).

managed to get all but 3 bolts out without breaking them. Then used angle drill to drill out the ones that broke. Will pick up new hardware today and be done...thanks again for the advise

I used an angle grinder with cutoff wheel to make holes in the face of the bumper to make it easier to get a socket in there.

Back